Does Funfetti Cake Have A "flavor"?

Baking By B-Line Updated 5 Sep 2015 , 12:37am by B-Line

B-Line Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B-Line Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 4:13am
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a sprinkle covered cake for a little girl's birthday.  I tossed out the idea of doing a funfetti cake, because I thought it would be cute, and it seemed like all I had to do was toss some sprinkles into my vanilla cake and voila, extra fun.

I baked a little mini cake yesterday and I don't know whether I used too many sprinkles (I eyeballed it) or whether I have bad sprinkles (I'm using CK brand and I just bought them and cracked the seal yesterday).   Anyway, the cake has a definite "flavor" to it, that is not my usual vanilla cake.

Even my husband, who is the biggest kid at heart and usually immune to this sort of thing - he eats my fondant remnants when he's helping me clean up - even this guy didn't like it.  It tastes wierdly artificial and almost "minty"

I wonder whether my sprinkle mix has too many white sprinkles which are not contributing anything to the color but messing up my flavor.

I've never had funfetti cake, so I don't know if this is how it's supposed to taste and just one of those wierd things that kids love, but I just don't get - like bubble gum flavored everything.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

*Last edited by B-Line on 3 Sep 2015 , 4:14am
9 replies
rosamg_86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamg_86 Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 4:28am
post #2 of 10

Hi there. I usually make funfetti cake or as I call it "birthday cake" lol with white almond cake and add sprinkles. Bakes nicely and doesn't have an off taste. You can make white almond cake from scratch or use the doctored white almond sour cream recipe :) hope it helps.

B-Line Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:19am
post #3 of 10

Thanks...unfortunately birthday girl is a picky eater and requested vanilla, I'm afraid almond would be a no-go.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:50am
post #4 of 10

Add less sprinkles.  Mash them up with a rolling pin, add far less, and the little pieces will be "sprinkled" throughout the batter.

B-Line Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 6:32am
post #5 of 10

I think I put about 2/3 of a bottle in the first time.  I just added 4 Tbsp, and I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed.  It looked like enough to me in the raw batter.

I'm not sure how the rolling pin trick would help with the flavor but I'm hoping just using less will...with the  smashing them, wouldn't the smaller pieces just result in less defined "dots" in the finished cake?

B-Line Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 7:38am
post #6 of 10

Success!  thanks all.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 10

Yay!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 10

To answer the question of whether it has a flavor, I'd say that based on the number of grooms who want it because it's what their mommies made for them it must taste like arrested development.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 2:44am
post #9 of 10

......because people eat with their eyes first.

@costumeczar you are so entertaining!!!

B-Line Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 12:37am
post #10 of 10

costumeczar I literally lol'd at that. 

The fact that my husband wrinkled his nose at trial #1 is what got me concerned and sent me running over here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%