Opening Day Jitters

Lounge By Webake2gether Updated 3 Sep 2015 , 7:40pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 13

We are fast approaching opening our baking company!!! Probably 3 weeks out still but much closer than I anticipated and the jitters are in full force!!! My husband wonders if we'll have any orders I wonder if we'll have too many orders and my nerves can't handle the unknown anymore lol. We did this with our eyes wide open knowing there is absolutely no guarantee for success. Everything has come together wonderfully lots of hard work but we've left no stone unturned we've done our homework, we have a solid plan, and we've done everything to code and legal.

with all that being said I'm still anxious and nervous not making myself sick but it's definitely on the forefront of my mind. How do you deal with the roller coaster of thoughts and emotions when opening a business? What are some things you did to drum up opening day orders? I'll be delivery only (for now) and can't accept orders until my final inspection from the health dept. so no pre-orders which adds to my anxiousness. Any suggestions or advice definitely welcome!! I come here for honest straight forward advice I know ya'll will give!! Thanks :)

12 replies
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 13

Breathe! It sounds like you've done everything you can do and you're ready for it, so try not to be too nervous.

Are you going to have cases with ready-to-buy things to sell? Or is it just going to be cakes made to order?

Webake2gether Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 13

Being delivery only we'll probably do things on a made to order basis. We can't have customers pick up at our location because the commercial kitchen is in our home. Once the kitchen is done and we are open  I'm petitioning the city to re-zone us to allow for pick ups up to 12 a day (similar to how residents day cares work)  so then we could possibly do more same day order pickup type items. I'm zoned properly to operate a business out of my home but the customer pick up isn't allowed although there is another baker zoned for pick up so I'm hoping to be able to do that as well but also keeping my neighbors in mind and not overwhelming the street with customer pickups.  Maybe even having a set pick up time(s) in place. 

Shockolata Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 13

Wow, Amanda! I feel your enthusiasm and your nervous energy! :) I hope all goes well. Can't offer any advice but I am looking forward to learning about your journey. All the best to you both!

mccantsbakes Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 13

You have little ones right?   If you still read them stories,  go pick out Dr Seuss' "oh the places you'll go".    Now read it over and over and over......for you, until it is your mantra.  

I know it's not cake advice per se......but perhaps it will give you some extra "I GOT THIS" advice.  

Personally, I think it would be abnormal if you weren't jittery :)

I am very excited for you!

Webake2gether Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 13

@mccantsbakes  Yes I have a 7 1/2 year old son and a 5 year old son and we read all the time!! I will def. check that book out at the library. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion and comments!!!I I really needed the encouragement right now. This is scary, exciting and overwhelming both good and bad. One day I'll look back on all of this and wonder why I got so worked up and nervous but right now I'm a mess lol 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 13

on opening day/s i feel excited proud in a good way expectant and very very tired

wishing you skies full of success

Webake2gether Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 13

thanks @-K8memphis  

thankfully my husband is taking a week off the end of this month so we are going to take some down time (hopefully) so maybe I won't be too exhausted lol. My nerves need a break. I wear down way faster emotionally than I do physically. So it's more of a mental exhaustion in my case. 

jgifford Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 13

I haven't been on recently since I killed my computer and I hate doing this on my phone, but I just HAD to let you know we're all rooting for you. You've kept us a part of it the whole way and we're so excited for you.

You'll be great. Just keep breathing as cz says and take it one step at a time.

Have a drink (or a whole bottle) ready for when you close on the first day and celebrate! 

Webake2gether Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 13

@jgifford  my computer died last week too I had to get a new one bc I am unfortunately a slave to the dang thing. My bills don't get paid if I can't use our bill pay and I can't access bill pay on my phone. I've been check free for years and the process of paying bills would be insanity without it.

Anyway thanks for cheering us on!!! I sooooo needed it yesterday the plumber hit us hard with the bill which it is being disputed it should have been less bc we didn't do two major things that were originally thought necessary so any way I cried all day yesterday and just felt like I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel but I kept singing "I will survive" weird right haha. So this morning as I'm etching the concrete it comes on the radio (I like oldies music lol) so now that's officially my theme song and "oh the places we'll go" is our mantra :) thanks everyone!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 13

plumbing bites -- another word for plumbing is 'more'

Apti Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 13

Oh, The Places You WILL Go!  What a wonderful adventure for both of you.  You've done everything right, every step of the way.  You CAN do this and WILL do this WELL.  Hugs.

Webake2gether Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 13

@-K8memphis  yep more is right "more money" lol. 

@Apti  thanks!!! Hugs right back at ya!! 

I'm on a roll today. I got two coats of tinted sealer on the concrete today!!! I'm getting excited!! About 2-3 weeks left to go!!! And I got the health dept to work with me on the frp (fiberglass reinforced plastic) so I'm only doing the walls where the sinks are and can paint the other walls with high gloss paint saves us a bundle on materials!! Good day today woot woot :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%