Cottage Food Law And Pricing You Cupcakes / Cakes Comparing To My Old Job

Business By karenamr95 Updated 2 Sep 2015 , 11:39am by -K8memphis

karenamr95 Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 3:35am
post #1 of 2

Im not sure how to go on Pricing 

There isnt really any cupcake places around me except two

i dont know one pricing but there was a horrible cupcake/ cake place i used to work at..

and it was very very expensive almost 4-5 dollars for a ugly cupcake covered in candy and gooped with duncin hines frosting on top which she told everyone it was ganache

she made horrible cakes  and iknow i can do way better i was going to base my pricing off of hers but i honestly have more cake decorating skills just because of me practicing and watching countless hours of videos 

i guess id say i am self taught.

i also learned alot from all the girls i worked with they made beautiful cakes when she actually let them.

but i dont want to sell cupcakes with bunch of candy and stuff on it i want pretty simple cakes 

i was thinking of having a set price of 25$ a dozen for simple cupcakes and going as high as 35 for ones with cupcake toppers

and cakes i thought 6 inch would start  at 15 

8 inch would start at 25 for simple  easy designs

and fondant start at 35 depending on detail,materials and estimated time i would take

would that be good 

my old job used to charge 70$ for a choclate chip 8 inch cake..... 

but that more in the highclass area and im in the average class area.

but i also dont want to sell myself short,I want to be fair with prices since  i grew up basically broke and i feel like everyone should have a cake that doesnt cost so much.

I am also pretty fast when it comes to cake,I used to hear that if you wanted to work as a grocery store  cake decorator you had to decorate a cake in under 15 minutes so i use to time myself at work and see how fast i could get a whole cake done until i had the 15 minute mark :)

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 11:39am
post #2 of 2

you might be in a average class area but you want to market to those who want high class cakes and they are not always from the high class area -- when people celebrate they spend -- from all the neighborhoods -- you want the reputation that it ain't a party unless karenamr's beautiful goodies are there -- you want your clients to plan their parties around your calendar and be disappointed when you're booked on their date/s --

no no no no no no no this is not the light bill nor the baby's milk money this is a luxury item -- peeps with lower budgets can get great cake lots of places -- you are different you are/will be a cut or two above -- you will not limit yourself nor your price "...going as high as..." GO HIGHER

this is business you're an llc for crying out loud shoot for the stars, gf --

if there's clientele out there used to paying $4 & $5 a pop scoop 'em up -- 

and on cakes you determine a price per serving -- first you determine your serving size which i recommend the industry standard of 1x2x4 which is charted out on the google-able "wilton wedding cake data chart" -- it's not too small in reality it's a nice portion just sounds small -- then determine price per serving -- for example $3 per serving for buttercream is about as low as you can go and be respectable -- $4 per is more respectable so an 8" cake is about a hundred bucks bam! just like that -- you don't want to invest your time in garnering clients who cannot afford you -- then you'll raise your prices 'cause you're burnt out and broke, lose them all ànd have to start over --

choice is yours :) best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%