Price This Cake??

Business By LexsaMarie Updated 2 Sep 2015 , 5:06am by johnson6ofus

LexsaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LexsaMarie Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 2:20am
post #1 of 5

Hi there! I've been having difficulties pricing cakes. I understand that I need to charge for my time and materials, but I still can't quite figure out what professional places would charge for. I've been told that I charge too little, but I feel that I'm still a student -graduated, but still learning a lot- and I don't want to charge a lot, then provide a cake that the person doesn't approve of. 

So, the reason for the post: 

What would you all charge for a cake that was

-decorated like the picture

-6in and 8in tiers

-marble cake

-oreo mousse filling

Thank you for any input!55e50b73533c6.jpeg

4 replies
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 3:29am
post #2 of 5

here are a few suggestions:

http://www.cakeboss.com

or

http://www.bakecalc.com

Most bakers won't answer with a price and here is why everyone has different costs, ingredients , overhead (or no overhead), skill levels and so on. I guess someone could give you  base price per serving but that doesn't really help in the long run. My suggestion is figure out your time and costs and see what you feel your time is worth. If you still feel like  student then consider that when you figure out how long it will take you to do the cake and settle within yourself what is good for you and your customer. If you are running a business you'll have to figure in taxes as well and I'm a big supporter in operating legally :)

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 4:34am
post #3 of 5

Webaketogether nailed it.  You probably won't get anyone to give you a solid price since there are SO many variables involved with properly pricing a cake.   

I know that many people will argue about cheap cakes and undercutting.....that is a whole other beast that I am not tryin to get involved in. But really at the end of the day only YOU can know what you are willing to do a cake for.    If the client isn't on board with your pricing then maybe they aren't who you want to bake for......because if you are on here asking to price a cake, I would bet money your price is TOO low.   You are worth more....own it 

(I will give you a hint on your ballpark......it's worth more than 50)

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 5:01am
post #4 of 5

I watched this round table panel discussion a few months ago and there is some great info about cake business and they do touch a little on pricing toward the end if I recall.....how and how NOT to price cakes. 

There are a few videos in the series of panel discussions....all of the bakers in these are actually making money doing this as a job.   So if you have an hour or so  to listen to some advice from professionals, it's good stuff

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 5:05am
post #5 of 5

Yes to all the above.

But, looks like 6" cake= 12 servings, 8" cake= 24 servings, and ladybug= 4 servings (?).  Total of 40 servings. I have not really seen anyone here on CC quote less than $3/ serving for fondant and well up from there. Any less than $120 is too low.

Your work looks clean and level, cute and properly detailed. Nice, clean, decorated board. Don't undersell your skill level as it looks equal to or better than many, many cake makers. I would rate it as "professionally made", IMHO.

*Last edited by johnson6ofus on 2 Sep 2015 , 5:06am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%