How To Make This Golf Ball

Decorating By cupcakemama3 Updated 1 Sep 2015 , 3:59pm by Shockolata

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:45am
post #1 of 5

55e50341ab265.jpegNeed advice as to how to make the golf ball part of this cake .

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 4:09am
post #2 of 5

A ball pan would make it easier, but if you don't want to buy one you could carve the orb part, put a thick coating of buttercream all over it.  Harden it up in the fridge, cover it with fondant, use an edible printed sheet for the logo and stick it on.  When the buttercream is a little softer go at it with a large ball tool to make the dimples.  Those are my thoughts anyway... good luck!

SweetBees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBees Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 4:20am
post #3 of 5

I use a small glass bowl lined with aluminum foil and coated in a ton of shortening and flour. I place the bowl inside of my 6 inch cake pan and bake it off at 325 until it's nice and done. I make two of these and glue them together. It creates a perfectly round ball every time, and it's small. smile.png

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips guys!

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 5

I used my mixing bowl to bake a cake in. It has a rounded bottom of sorts and when the cake rises it creates a dome which makes it an almost perfect sphere! Have a look at my photos for my Halloween pumpkin which I made using my stainless steel mixing bowl. It did not damage the bowl and the cake cooked fine. An alternative solution would be to buy a polystyrene ball of the size you like at your local craft store, cover it with fondant (dampen surface or use piping gel so that the fondant will adhere,) and then make the dimples and write the text using a fine brush and edible black paint. You can print a page to the size you need the logo to be and the style you need it to be and then lay it over the fondant and press lightly with a tool to make indents on the fondant. Then you will be able to paint safe in the knowledge that your text will fall where you want it to and you won't run out of space ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%