Help Making Dooney & Bourke Disney Cake

Decorating By dweddings Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 10:32pm by -K8memphis

dweddings Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:41am
post #1 of 11

Need Help making Dooney & Bourke Disney cake. I never made one before & it's for a friends Mother-in-laws party. She needs a cake to serve 45-50 people. It is one of the larger handbags but what does a purse cake usually serve? Anyone who knows of a tutorial or who made one themself I can use all the help anyone can give.On baking the cake & covering with fondant.

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:59am
post #2 of 11

how does disney play into a d&b cake? combining  2 different themes or is there a real d&b disney purse --

i get about 30 servings out of my usual purse cakes -- 50 servings is more of a tote bag :) 

but you could do a matching wallet or mini bag to stretch your servings

dweddings Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:05am
post #3 of 11

Yes It's a Disney theme bag it has mickey & minnie covering the bag. Dooney & Bourke did a whole line of Disney bags. 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:19am
post #4 of 11

oh who knew -- not me obviously  -- sounds cool --

what are the dimensions of the bag you are looking at -- got a picture?

dweddings Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 10:08am
post #5 of 11

dweddings Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 10:08am
post #6 of 11

-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 11

i hope this is a gift because the copyright thing will bite --

this weekender is large enough for way more than 50 servings -- i can't find that exact style --

the dimensions you need on your finished product is 8-9 inches tall without handles and 12 inches wide with 4 to 5 inches deep -- purses seem to shrink in height so start it out taller -- i'd use 5 inches of cake per tier so you want a two tier cake inside your purse --

-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 11

but check out this heavy duty disclaimer on the website regarding these purses -- yoiks:

CA Residents: Proposition 65
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 11

when i said 'shrink in height' i mean as you are making a purse cake it gets smushed down more than a regular cake so start out a couple inches taller -- they are narrower than a regular cake so allow for that

dweddings Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you so much for all you help it was very much appreciated &needed.  The cake is for a friend.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 11

you're so welcome -- purse cakes are especially gratifying to do -- i did a coach for my daughter -- just plain leather and i got all the details except the strap was a little thin but I was wearing out -- anyhow I did a coco channel wallet to match and i put her gift in there -- i love doing purse cakes --

i did a louie v for a charity auction -- the one covered with the multi colored logos -- later i asked several friends did they see my cakes, chess board and purse -- they said no 'cause they saw a purse and a chess board -- not realizing it was cake/cookies/chocolates -- love that -- so much fun --

have a blast -- best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%