Need Help Now Looking Into Opening A A Small Bakery Store

Business By karenamr95 Updated 1 Sep 2015 , 3:20pm by dkltll

karenamr95 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 11

I have looked into licenses and forms of what i need through online and

im trying to write down what i need to have a licensed kitchen  for a bakery but now i cant find the link

prettymuch everything i need to run the bakery business wise.

anyone know pricing as to getting all the license you need for start up bakery

inspection is free or am i wrong?

or if anyone could tell me how much they put into their business if they have one thanks

im thinking starting small and than growing bigger getting more expensive stuff for productivity as business gets busy

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 11

paying for licensing is one of the easiest things to opening a bakery -- paying for upgrades to improve property to get it to code is the biggest expense and then purchasing equipment then continuing rent and overhead -- licenses are inexpensive and easy by comparison -- of course it varies from place to place so you have to determine that locally --

and I don't know what kind of bakery you intend to open but licenses are no worries --

i would recommend starting out with a nice business plan so you can plot your course -- there are websites to guide you with a business plan 

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 11

and to answer your question -- inspection might be free but getting everything in order and up to code depending on what kind of bakery you want is where the cost lies

imagenthatnj Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 11

karenamr95, your profile says you're only 19 and live in Florida. Can't you start with the Florida Food Cottage Law (starting small) and then see how it goes for opening a bakery?

I am not on Facebook, but I know they have a Facebook page.

Webake2gether Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 11
Here is my two cents you are welcome to take it or leave it :)
I'm not familiar with Florida's laws and all the county ordinances. So I'm just speaking based on what I know from my experience. 
My first suggestion is to take 6 months or longer to learn everything there is to learn about your county and state requirements regarding bakeries whether in home or store front, all the financial responsibilities you'll have (taxes,licensing, overhead, ingredients, supplies etc) understand fully that whatever option you chose whether it's a store front or commercial kitchen in your home you are going to spend A LOT of money. Baking becomes the least important detail when opening a bakery. Once you have all the legal stuff done the construction phase begins and that is an ordeal inspections through the city and county are free (at least here). But food sanitation licenses aren't free food permits aren't free hardly anything is free. Equipment is expensive bc it has to be NSF certified (here in Illinois no residential equipment allowed in bakeries or commercial kitchens). Even starting small is a huge cost. 

So do your research then research it some more call the city for zoning inspections sales tax health dept. there are a lot of very necessary hoops to jump through to do it all legally. I'm putting a commercial kitchen in my home and we are almost done and I'm telling you you have to know your stuff or it won't happen. Also a business plan is a must, pricing, good marketing to your target market on and on and on it goes. I wished I could say this is easy but it's not. I don't want you to be discouraged but understand this is a huge undertaking and knowledge is key!!! Wish you the best!!! 
-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 11

Web2, that was beautiful

Webake2gether Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 12:14am
post #7 of 11

@-K8memphis  Thanks!! It's the reality opening a baking business is anything but a piece of cake. I respect all who go through the same process as I am to do it. For those who don't I have not much to say about that well I do but I quite honestly don't have the time to argue the reason why it's good for all of us to do things legally and I hate to get mean or maybe I don't ;)

I did forget to say that the stress is free, the frustration is free and I have several new wrinkles on my forehead that were free of charge lol. The amount of blood sweat and tears in this unbelievable. I'm about to load some update pics of the progress on the taking the plunge thread :) we are about 75% done and on pace to open for business within the next 3 weeks!!!

karenamr95 Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:19am
post #8 of 11

Your right ill def. do cottage food law stuff first and slowly work my way into it thanks

Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 11

@Webake2gether  I am beyond excited to see all of your hard work come together smile.png.  And to think I "knew you" way back when you were a green newbie with the dreaded pricing questions... So glad you hung around so we could watch your metamorphosis.

@karenamr95  I hope this for you as well!

Webake2gether Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 11

Oh no you didn't go there......
@Pastrybaglady  hahahahaha

oh our humble beginnings and for the record I asked once and not because I was selling merely out of  curiosity but stil I did do it and for that I accept responsibility :) I owe a lot of my knowledge from reading on cake central reading everything I could possibly read even if it didn't pertain to me at the time. I feel like if something is worth going after its worth knowing everything you can possibly know. I have a lot of room to grow in the baking department and I'm sure that growth will also be hugely in part of all of you on here :)

dkltll Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 11

For Florida go to this site: start here. Then go to then got to

This is where I found the info I was looking for. Each County has different regualtions so check out your county and it also varies if you are in incorporated part of the city or not. I also believe the inspection is free.  HTH

*Last edited by dkltll on 1 Sep 2015 , 3:20pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%