Do You Use Styofoam When You Make Fondant Toppers?

Decorating By karenamr95 Updated 1 Sep 2015 , 5:20pm by Brookebakescake

karenamr95 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:19am
post #1 of 6

Just wondering If you use styrofoam or just all fondant i tried makeing monsters inc out of some styrofoam i had and just cutting into a circle shape i feel like it would probally be better for me to start making my cake toppers out of actual strofoam balls and what not.

just curious what you prefer.

5 replies
mccantsbakes Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:48am
post #2 of 6

I just started doing gumpaste flowers, and with my big ones I use a styrofoam ball as the center to keep them lighter since they are so heavy with all their petals.

mccantsbakes Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:49am
post #3 of 6

I do warn people that there is a styrofoam the event that anyone goes to eat it.....I also warn them that while gumpaste is edible it doesn't taste very good. 

Honey6983 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 6

If the topper is going to be larger, I do use styrofoam or foam core as the center so it won't be too heavy for the cake. Both the LV bag topper and stack of books (in my pics) were foam core. It takes an extra step (I actually think using all fondant would be easier) but makes me feel better about putting on top of cake. I also use styrofoam balls for flower centers like @mccantsbakes. 

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 3:47am
post #5 of 6

You can use Rice Krispy Treats. They'll be light and edible, and you can mold it with your hands and smooth it out with some chocolate (as you can read in the link below) or file away the hard spots (some people use one of those little wand cheese graters.

Brookebakescake Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

I was actually just making a little RV Camper for a cake, and started with styrofoam. However, I quickly ditched the plan.  I ended up making a cardboard "frame" for the little thing.  I like those results SO MUCH BETTER.  I say, do whatever you feel comfortable with.  Just play and have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%