Need Tips?

Baking By KupCakess Updated 1 Sep 2015 , 5:12am by Apti

KupCakess Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone im very new to cake baking/decorating. I live in colorado and I try to use variations of a wasc cake for a more dense cake, easier to decorate. However my cakes have been coming out just a little too dense and caving in the middle. im not sure what im doing wrong and any tips would be helpful! Thanks for your time

7 replies
Jinkies Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 12:07am
post #2 of 8

1st off- check your oven temp.  I was having the same issues and bought an oven thermometer and my oven was off almost 20 degrees.  No biggie, I just adjusted the temp.  Started have the same problem again and thought I was going nuts.  I've been baking since I was 11 so I know how to bake a cake. One day, I left my thermometer in the oven while baking a cake and realized the temperature was fluctuating wildly, like up and down 40 degrees!

Have a new oven now and no more issues :)

If your oven temp is fine, then you have to look at your mix methods.  But, you need to rule out 1 thing at a time.  Check your oven first though.  

KupCakess Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 1:22am
post #3 of 8

I tried the other day baking a few cakes at different temps thinking that same thing and found that baking at 340 worked best tried it again the other day and major fail! Thats crazy I wonder if that could be happening to me, strange. Ill have to try a thermometer, thanks much for the response!

Apti Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 2:24am
post #4 of 8

What is  your altitude in Colorado?  That may be playing a big part since high altitude baking can be very different from a "standard" recipe.

KupCakess Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 2:41am
post #5 of 8

Im in Castle Rock Co, the elevation here 6,224ft

Apti Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 7:54am
post #6 of 8

Here is a fabulous resource from King Arthur Flour:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/high-altitude-baking.html    

I live at sea level and have never had to deal with high altitude baking.  (whew!)  

I wish you good luck!

KupCakess Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 4:24am
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much, this looks like it will be a big help!

Apti Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 5:10am
post #8 of 8

Happy to help.    My sister used to live in Pagosa Springs,  Elevation‎: ‎7,126 ft

When I'd visit, my asthma problems would grab hold and I figured if I couldn't breathe right at that altitude, maybe the cake batter couldn't either!

*Last edited by Apti on 1 Sep 2015 , 5:12am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%