Gumpast David Austin Rose

Sugar Work By awestervelt Updated 15 Sep 2015 , 4:39pm by cookiemum123

awestervelt Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 6

I am attempting to make a gumpaste David Austin rose and I am having difficulty keeping the wires inside the buds.  I did the buds yesterday and let them dry overnight but they keep falling off of the wire.  I placed a hook on the end of the wire and then used sugar glue when inserting them into the bud.  Any suggestions or tips that will help them stick?  These roses take so many days to do because of the drying process and I'm running out of time to complete them.  I need help!! Thanks

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 6

when you first apply the sugar glue, wipe if off so the wire is only tacky not wet at all -- for the ones you have now that are falling off -- you need to dry them somehow like in a food dehydrator or warming drawer or in an oven with just the pilot light on -- then you can either leave the wire in there so it all dries or stick it back in afterwards with a dab of melted chocolate y'know if the hole got too big with them having too much liquidn in there & falling out

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6

or maybe use a blow dryer, a hair dryer but be careful you don't melt/crack anything 

costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 1:56am
post #4 of 6

I don't know how you're doing them, but this is how I do them with gumpaste. It works best if you let the wired center of each section dry before you attach the petals so that you an really press them onto the center. And when you insert the wires into the bud center, really press it around the hook so that it's attached and can't slip off.

*Last edited by costumeczar on 3 Sep 2015 , 1:57am
Brookebakescake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 2:32am
post #5 of 6

When I make gumpaste roses with a bud center, I bend my wire into a hook, then i bend the wire around the hook the other way as well, so I'm making more of a wire ball than just a hook.  Then when I put the gumpaste  on the wire, I really make sure it's pressed into the wire ball.  This gives the gumpaste a more 3-d item to hold onto instead of just a 2-d hook.  Hope that makes sense.  If not I can send pics  

cookiemum123 Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 6

Customczar, that is an excellent tutorial, for a gorgeous flower. Thanks! I was thinking about what  rose I hadn't practiced and I will use up the last of my gumpaste for this one and the wild roses. I'd like to see the pix of the wire you bent, Brooke. I would bend a hook too and would like to see how much you pinched in the part that's going the opposite way or up. Which also would mean considering making your wire longer say for 3" wire would need maybe 3 1/4" or 3 1/2"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%