My First Huge Baking Order-Suggestions Needed!

Business By TaylorMade92 Updated 30 Aug 2015 , 4:55am by Amps.prkns

TaylorMade92 Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Cake Central!

I have my first giant baking order for the end of September and I had a few questions.

The order is for a wedding. The bride wants 200 raspberry thumbprint shortbread cookies, 200 small brownie squares, and 200 decorated baseball sugar cookies. Lots of work!

*Thankfully* I am able to use our church's industrial kitchen complete with large sheet pans, comvection oven, giant mixer, and tons of space. 

The wedding is on a Sunday but I will be delivering it that Saturday afternoon. Of course I want all my sweets to be as fresh and possible. 

I cannot possibly make all of that in one or even two days- I have a life other than baking. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png My question is which of those three should I start on first-I was thinking if at all possible, to start baking (or at least making the dough) the beginning of that week. Any suggestions on what to do first? What would be okay if frozen?  I'm thinking the brownies last so they don't become dry? 

If if you have any other tips or suggestions, please bring them on!

6 replies
Amps.prkns Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 7

If you had the space, you could make the dough to the thumbprints, have them cut and filled, as well as the baseball cookies now. Then you can bake the baseball cookies 3-4 days before and go decorating them. The day before you can bake the thumbprints and finish garnishing. You can also make the brownie mix the day before or even two days before and bake it. Allow to cool and cut, garnish. 

kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 7

Exactly what she ^^^^^^^ said.

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 7

If you have access to a commercial kitchen, you will be AMAZED at how much you can put out.  Don't think in terms or your (what I assume is a smaller) kitchen.  Instead of baking 12 or 24  cookies to a sheet, you will be able to put 36 cookies on a sheet and put 4 to 6 sheets in the oven at one time.  Bam!!!  200 cookies in 20 minutes!  When I went from home kitchen to shop kitchen, it was SO much less work and I got so much more done in way less time.

TaylorMade92 Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

Okay, thanks! All of yall made sense to me and helps me breathe a sigh of relief.

TaylorMade92 Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 1:35am
post #6 of 7

Also, I have already given the bride a price, but I am just curious as to what you all might charge for each item.

Amps.prkns Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 4:55am
post #7 of 7

I work for a country club so my prices might be s little higher but for brownies $1.95 each thumprints $2.25 each and baseball cookies $3-5 depending on amount of detail. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%