Cutting A Dummy Cake For Photos?

Decorating By Brookebakes Updated 29 Aug 2015 , 8:24pm by amartin1900

Brookebakes Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 2

I have a wedding cake in a months time that will need to be a dummy cake, with a kitchen cake. The bride and groom are leaving for the wedding on a Tuesday to drive 5 hours to their destination, for a Saturday wedding, so a dummy cake is really my only option. Kitchen cake will travel with a guest on the wedding day.

How do I make a section of the styrofoam tier "cut-able" for their cutting the cake photos? Can I cut a section out of it and pack with cake crumbs, cover and decorate as normal but mark it so they know where to cut?

My next issue is how to get a black Forrest cake for 90 people to travel a 5 hour drive and stay cool in Australian heat! Will post that in baking! Thanks.

1 reply
amartin1900 Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 2

I would design a cake that can have a real 4"/6" set on top at the wedding for cutting pictures.

Pehaps with columns and plate system. The topper is just clicked in place on site, put some flowers in the gap and bam! 

For transport, be sure the sheet cakes and topper cake are in proper fitting boxes and have chilled in refrigerator over night. If humidity is an issue be sure to wrap boxes in plastic wrap night before. 

Cool car and place cakes in a large shiping styrofoam cooler. Add towel wrapped ice packs and a fridge thermometer Just for peace of mind. 

It's 95F degrees outside, I did this for long delivery. 2 hours later temp inside cooler is still below 50F. 55e214e784dc6.jpeg

Quote by @%username% on %date%