Good Turn Table To Buy That Doesnt Cost A Arm And A Leg?

Decorating By karenamr95 Updated 31 Aug 2015 , 4:27pm by CoinUK

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 5:26am
post #1 of 15

anything you personally used?

14 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 7:28am
post #2 of 15

I use the wilton one but I think as long as it has a good bearing you should be fine. That's the only thing I would invest money in otherwise you end up with an unsteady wobbly piece of crap.

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:10am
post #3 of 15

A friend of swears by her tilting Wilton.  I use the Ateco one. I love that it is durable, I just wish the rotation was smoother.  

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:31am
post #4 of 15

I just bought the Ateco 613 (with ball bearing) spins beautifully. used it for the first time yesterday. I love it. because i had to get it from the US it costed me A$ 116/=. I hear the 613 is better than the 612 because of the ball bearings.

*Last edited by suzied on 29 Aug 2015 , 8:32am
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:35am
post #5 of 15

When I was looking for one someone told me to get a Lazy Susan turn table. I found a glass one and it works beautifully. Of course it doesn't have a tilting action but it spins really freely, cleans up easily and is large enough to balance a bench scraper on to scrape my cakes when I am icing. To stop the cakes slipping on it I just use a small piece if non slip shelf lining.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:56am
post #6 of 15

My hubs got me the wilton tilt one a few years ago for Christmas.   I didn't like it at first because it felt ginormous and clunky.   But after acclimating to it, it's a sturdy ginormous thing!  I don't trust the tilt feature.... Had a cake slowly slip off my cake board as I was decorating the side....the board stayed put...but not the cake...whoops!

The one thing that I still don't care for with the wilton one is that the turntable has no aesthetic value.   It is cartoony looking and in purple and makes me feel like just a hobby baker and not a baker to be taken seriously..   It's just not very "professional" looking.....which is silly, but for some reason most wilton products feel like they are designed with the super girly, hobby and pintrest project loving , everything is easy peasy,  purple and coordinated baker in mind. It's almost nauseating.

i ***reallllllly*** want an ateco 612 or 613...I can't remember which as I read so much about both that I can't remember what features belong to which  unless I check my wish list.  They are SO sleek and elegant and I have heard they are workhorses. 

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 9:12am
post #7 of 15

mccantsbakes.    go for the 613. its good. it has ball bearings, which gives a smooth and fast spin the 612 hasnt ball bearings i hear.

areesabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
areesabakes Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 15

If you are looking for something that's not too expensive I would definitely say Wilton is a good choice!

i agree that it is not the most professional looking but it's sturdy and if you get it at micheals with a coupon it's really inexpensive!

i don't have the one that tilts so not sure how that works but I've stacked really heavy 3 tiered cakes on it and I was shocked it didn't break!

gwertheim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwertheim Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 15

Revolving Cake Stand - Plastic - 5"H by Fat Daddios for $15 is a good one, I just got it because i'm starting out but so far it has served me well

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 15

Thank You all for your help :)

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 8:35am
post #11 of 15

I use a lazy Susan as bubs1stbirthday mentioned. I got it cheap from Walmart and it does me just fine  

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 15

Long ago, I heard that there's one at Ikea that was great. 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90074483/

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 15

I got a marble turntable at Ikea for $20.  I love it.  It turns smoothly and has a smooth surface for my scraper.  I actually leave it on my kitchen table so it's easy to grab for caking.  One less tool to fetch.

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 15

My husband made me one out of prefab wood rounds from Lowe's (16" and 12" stacked) with ball bearings. He covered it by stapling non porous shelf liner so it would be non-skid. It's heavy duty and I love it, it also wipes clean easily. He was able to make it for less than $20. I do use a smaller 12" turntable from Fat Daddio's for detail work on smaller cakes. HTH!

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 15

I got the Cake Boss one and it's lovely. Really smooth, lockable as well, looks great as a display stand and only £20 in the UK :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%