Need Help With Follow Up Emails To Customer

Business By Lollipopstop Updated 30 Aug 2015 , 3:21am by Apti

Lollipopstop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lollipopstop Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, I am new to the forums here on Cake Central and also new to the "cake business" as I have only been in my retail establishment for 10 months. I am trying to learn the ends and outs of customer service with my potential clients. I would like to ask advice on how to approach a follow up email with a customer regarding them making a decision on whether to go with me as their Baker or with another "cheaper" cake designer. 

Normally after I give my customers a quote for a cake that they have sent me a picture of, I normally will not hear back from them. Should I not give them a quote right away? Maybe I should suggest that sit down and go over everything first before I give them a price? I do not overcharge by any means for my area, but I am also not willing to do a custom wedding cake for $50. I need some suggestions on how to write an email where I would like to know if they are still interested in my services without coming across as pushy. 

Thanks so much,

Ali

The Lollipop Stop

11 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 12

I don't do a f/u email.  If I don't hear back, I assume I am too expensive for them or they are just shopping around.  I don't have many of those because My base price per serving is on my website so a client pretty much knows what ballpark they are in before they call/email me.

The only time I did send an email was when a client agreed on a price and I had sent an invoice but she hadn't paid the deposit yet.  I simply asked her if she was still interested as I had other orders and I did not want to overbook myself.  I said something like if you've changed your mind, please let me know so I can book someone else in your slot.  She then paid the invoice.

Basically, if you feel the need to send one, be really nice and make it like you are doing them a courtesy and don't want to assume they aren't interested and book another client before checking with them.

Momof5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5kiddos Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 12

I send an email like this:

Thank you for contacting me recently for a quote on a cake. Just wanted to follow up with you to see if you have made a decision to order. Thank you!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 12

I don't do follow up email's. If they don't get back to you then they've found someone else or cheaper or whatever. Personally I don't see the point in chasing them down. 

Though I agree you shouldn't be throwing a price out there without them answering a few preliminary questions first. Say they send a photo; I usually follow up with: How many servings do YOU need for this cake? (it may be a 6 tier cake in the photo, but they only need to feed 90). Do you have any cake flavor, filling or butter cream preferences, all are listed on our website etc..? Do you have a budget in mind for this cake? What date would you need this cake for? (you might not even have availability; so its not worth quoting). Some people just want a quick price; but even if you are not meeting in person you need to get them to answer these questions at the very least before giving them a price. They will be more likely to answer you back  as well; even if it's just to say "sorry that's out of my price range" and that will open the door for you to say "what is your budget? Maybe we can make a make a few design changes to accommodate". 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 12

I just did  video on this kind of situation today, but it was more about the giving-out-a-sketch-before-getting-paid thing. I don't do followup reminders for inquiries either unless there's a specific reason, like if they came for an appointment, were SUPER sure they wanted to hire me, and the contract didn't come back and someone else wanted the date. But for general inquiries I don't follow up once I send an estimate. Here's a link to the video if you want to watch me yap about qualifying a customer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up7H9_ipSxc&lc=z13ntnhh1oqbyhq4404cdnvpgrzrfvng4c0

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 1:33am
post #6 of 12

@costumeczar~~I love watching you yap.  (and reading your blog)

@lollipopstop ~~ If they want it, they'll call.  If they don't want it, they won't call.  Sending a follow-up email isn't going to make a bit of difference.  (No matter how much you may want it to make a difference....)

Well, actually, it may make a difference, it will cost you valuable time you could spend on another, more profitable, aspect of your cake business like making pre-made buttercream or gum paste flowers.

*Last edited by Apti on 29 Aug 2015 , 1:35am
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 12

i did quite a double take re: the f/u email --- hahahaha

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 12

When I had the shop, my data showed me that brides were shopping WAY early and not making decisions until closer to the date.  It was not uncommon for them to call me 2-3 months after I sent them preliminary info and not uncommon for them to book 2-3 months (or more) after they had their appt with me.  They are doing their research, checking with numerous vendors, budgeting their money for down payments, etc.  After a month or so, I *might* send a simple "Just checking to see if you need any add'l info from me to make your cake decision...." email.  Then I dropped it.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 12

@costumeczar  great video! Very useful advice for us who are just starting out. 

Lollipopstop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lollipopstop Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you everyone for your wonderful input. I did end up sending a followup email and she did respond back...Here was my email to her:

Hi ...

I hope your day is going well. I just wanted to touch base with you to see if you are still interested in getting together regarding your upcoming wedding?  I don't want to assume anything as I know your wedding is right around the corner, however I have other potential orders and I did not want to overbook myself for September. Either way, please let me know if their are any additional questions I can answer for you and best of luck to you and your soon to be husband.

Her response:
Hello,
Sorry, been busy! We would love to work with you but $175 is out of my budget. Could we meet and work out something simple? My cake budget allowed for only $100. Do we have options in that price range?

The reason why I asked how you all handle this situation is because I was reading an article which said that 80% of her business comes from following up with her potential customers. As someone mentioned, maybe they are shopping around still or even forgot to get back with you? With me being so new to the business I am trying to gather as much insight as I possibly can. I want to please my customers but I also need to make money in the process  :-) Thank you all again for getting back with me. I LOVE this forum!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 12

I really, really hope that if you do a cake for $100 it's only two small tiers and very plain. Any more than that and you'll be working for  minimum wage and that's not cool for custom work.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 3:21am
post #12 of 12

It's great that you are trying different ways to increase business.  Your best bet (if you are in the USA) is to go to https://www.score.org/ and find the closest location to your home.  These people help new small business people, often for free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%