Buttercream Dummy Cakes?

Decorating By BritRo Updated 29 Aug 2015 , 3:42am by kakeladi

BritRo Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 1:30am
post #1 of 7

Hey y'all. I'm looking to make a dummy cake using only buttercream decorations and no fondant.

Has anyone ever decorated a dummy cake using only buttercream? How did you do it? Did you use royal icing in place of buttercream so it dried hard? Did you use something to help make your buttercream firm up and harden faster? Sorry for the many questions Thank you I'm advance. C:

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 7

yes we used buttercream made with shortening for dummies and i've used royal as well -- royal is fun because you can let it set up and sand it to get it smooth --

buttercream lasts a few months it gets a little opaque looking and then you just scrape it off and re-do it -- no, nothing else was added --

however upon further reflection this was with trans fat shortening so if i was doing this now i'd add some cornstarch

Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't made anything like that in years, but we used to buy an "icing" called Perma-Ice which was made for making long-lasting dummy cakes.

You can also use drywall compound...it handles a lot like icing...plus, when it dries you can patch/sand any imperfections away!

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 28 Aug 2015 , 1:16pm
costumeczar Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 7

I think they still make permaice, but I just use royal icing.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 7

no wait i mean it got see through looking -- got looking kinda thin but it didn't melt or anything and of course keep it out of direct sunlight

CakeBlessed Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 7

I did a dummy cake with 'buttercream' made with only cheap shortening and powdered sugar because I was doing it for a vendor event only. I intended to take it part afterwards. That was about 4 months ago. Its still sitting on a shelf (almost) perfectly fine. A few places have chipped off, but other than that, it looks just like it did the day I decorated it. That icing turned rock hard after a couple of days, maybe even the next day!

In fact, its the Love Birds cake in my gallery!

kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 3:42am
post #7 of 7

Yes, what cakeblessed said.  I made dozens of them when I had my shops.  No need to add flavoring, salt etc - just mix up shortening and powdered sugar to desired consistency.  I suggest using equal measures of each.  If need be thin with water or add more shortening to make it creamy.  You don't want it thin so use any water sparingly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%