Burlap (Hessian)

Decorating By cakesbyliane Updated 31 Aug 2015 , 5:15pm by LeanneW

cakesbyliane Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 10

My bride wants to use burlap on her cake. Have seen a demonstration on using packing tape on the back so its safe on the cake but dont know how to apply, any thoughts? Thinking tape wont be strong enough. 

Heard someone put hairspray on it too so it didnt frey, whats peoples thoughts?

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 10

these are my thoughts and i shoot straight with you --

i realize you are not the origin of the burlap idea but i just want to gently say that i think the bride needs to be advised that she should keep her food clean for her guests and that burlap is not food safe -- "not food safe" euphemism for nasty --

y'know? i mean you wouldn't put it on your steak & mashed potatoes right -- 

say people get sick from bad shrimp and the health department does an investigation you would not want to answer to them for putting something as dirty as burlap on the food you prepare -- what if someone with crohn's gets a piece of cake -- what if a new mother puts a dollop of icing in her baby's mouth -- oh no -- you don't want that to happen -- you'd need to post a disclaimer --

hairspray on food seriously no absolutely not -- no

those are my thoughts -- best to you -- use your head 

costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 10

Burlap is disgusting and dirty and hairy. You can use a tan colored fondant or gumpaste and a texturing mat to make burlap-looking edible ribbons, and it won't shed hair all over the cake. I can't think of a nice way to say it, but I'd tell the bride that is she isn't willing to lick a piece of burlap she probably shouldn't use it on a cake. I tell people who want fresh flowers on their cake that if they wouldn't want to drink the water the stems have been in, they shouldn't put them on the cake either. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but burlap is definitely nasty.

TheresaCarol Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 2:05am
post #4 of 10

I went to the ICES convention this year and Susan Carberry had created an incredible burlap silicone mat.  She had made a cake with it and added fall colored leaves; it was amazing.  You can find the mat here:  http://www.shop.thecakecottage.net/product.sc?productId=642&categoryId=-1

Be sure to check out the pictures.  It is pricey but well worth not having to stick dirty, icky real burlap on your cake.

Jedi Knight Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 5:07am
post #5 of 10

Claire Bowman (Cake Lace) also has a great burlap mat.

cakesbyliane Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 6:27am
post #6 of 10

Thank you for your suggestions

lydiane Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 8:10am
post #7 of 10

good idea!

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 8:14am
post #8 of 10

I have done it although I put strips of greeceproof paper underneath so that none of it actually came into contact with the cake (before the mats were available in these patterns).  I don't know if you can get it there but you can also buy burlap style ribbon here.  It doesn't fray and isn't 'hairy' like the real stuff.  Better still...use the cake lace mat!  

Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 11:55am
post #9 of 10

If your customer is dead set on a fabric burlap, try the faux burlap ribbon from Paper Mart....it's 100% polyester and does not fray or shed like traditional burlap does.

http://www.papermart.com/faux-burlap-ribbon/id=46686#46686

LeanneW Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 10

OMG, what @-K8memphis  said!!! Please do not use burlap on your cake. I have seen Susan's mold, it's awesome!!! This won't give the same look, but it's a very inexpensive alternative with tools you already have http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/32876/fondant-burlap-bow-tutorial-by-joshua-john-russell

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%