Bright Purple Buttercream - In Pinch For Time :(

Decorating By Chatty_Sweets Updated 27 Aug 2015 , 6:07pm by Chatty_Sweets

Chatty_Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chatty_Sweets Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone :)  This is my first forum post on Cake Central :)

I have a last minute order someone just made.  It calls for BRIGHT PURPLE buttercream. 

I live too far away from a store to buy purple gel before this order is due (I live in a tiny town in Colorado).

I'm certain that part of my issue is that I used neon purple food coloring.  I added some blue and some red to try and achieve the shade of purple wanted (the color of the table skirt).

Can a fantastic person on here please tell me how to adjust?  I keep adding more red, then it's too red.  I add more blue, then it's too blue :(

55df33ad7f900.jpeg

55df33adbaa67.jpeg

55df33ade5037.jpeg

55df33ae207de.jpeg

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 6

It looks like neon purple with a touch of blue to me.  Purple is just one of those hard to achieve colors.  Go slow a little at a time and then let the icing rest for a couple of hours.  Color can intensify with time, sorry you can't rush it.

amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

Beating in the color can make the color lighter too. Try adding the color and mixing gently by hand. I also smear a swatch and let it crust. It will turn two shades darker. The neon purple should do it alone. If not use the neon pink and neon blue to adjust. 

Be gently with mixing as to not mess up the sugar structure. 

Don't forget, we tend to focus to hard on the little things and this can mess them up. 

Chatty_Sweets Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, Pastrybaglady.  Do you mean that I need to add more blue?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 6

I would add more purple and a little blue and then let it sit for 2 hours and see what you've got.  Also purple isn't always captured true in photographs so I'm not even sure what I'm seeing is what you've got in your bowl!

*Last edited by Pastrybaglady on 27 Aug 2015 , 6:03pm
Chatty_Sweets Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone!  Off to try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%