Cake Package For Venues? How To Start

Business By amartin1900 Updated 3 Sep 2015 , 1:15am by Brookebakescake

amartin1900 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 11

I have a venue that wants to sit down for a tasting. What type of terms are involved when becoming their preferred cake bakery?

Do they sell the cake in a package?

Or do the sell a voucher and then bride puts that towards the cake when meeting with me?

I need to avoid them selling a cake for a booked up weekend without having to keep them constantly informed of my business. 

Any and all ideas are much appreciated relaxed.png

10 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 11

Hmmm.....that could be a tough situation.  Unless you are exclusive to them, if will be hard to avoid scheduling conflicts.

Perhaps you could create an online calendar on your website that shows the days you are booked up....I've seen sites like that before....but you would have to be really diligent in making sure you kept that calendar as a up to date as possible. 

Maybe someone else will have  some ideas on how to approach this.....

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 11

I think around here, they just put you on their preferred suppliers list...i.e., they will give your phone number to the brides when they book as a place to go to for cake.  They still go through you...  Maybe it's different there but just ask them.  If you are going to be working together then you need to be open with eachother.  A simple 'how do you envision this relationship working in practice' would clear things up.  Good Luck :-)

amartin1900 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 11

I don't think this venue had any preferred vendors yet. So I'm afraid they will look to me for all the answers. 

I worked at a bakery that had an agreement with a venue. The brides would come in with a voucher for cake for $400 or $600. It had been included in their wedding package. But how both companies profited in not sure. 

I want to say the bakery gave the venue a special rate. They charged more to the bride. We had to charge bride for all cake that went over that voucher. 

The venue paid us too. 

cakedout Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 11

When I worked with a local hotel, I sold the cake to them at a discount and then they in turn charged the bride more for it.

I had an album with maybe a dozen (fast and easy!) designs for the bride to choose from; they didn't get a totally 'customized' cake like my regular customers.  I would do special designs, but of course the bride had to pay extra for those. And if I provided flowers, etc the bride paid me directly.  At the first hotel I worked with, usually the hotel sales person took the order during their consultation, and then I would contact the bride to go over final details.  I generally never met them -only phone conversations.  At the second hotel I worked with, I was able to use their consultation room to meet with the brides.  That was much nicer.

I tried to use as much 'disposable' internal support stucture and baseboards as possible so that the hotel staff didn't have to worry about getting stuff back to me.  But when there was stuff that needed to be returned, the staff would give it to the Sales Director.  She would store it in the Sales Office and I would go on Tuesdays to pick up my cake things, my paycheck, and any new orders.

During those years I could pretty much expect an average of 3 cakes per weekend from the hotel, so I made sure to only take one additional order (4 was my max) of my own.  The hotel(s) had priority. 

It was a good deal for me.  Good luck to you!  :)

amartin1900 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 11

What about weekends you didn't want to take any orders such as during vacation?

TheItalianBaker Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 12:38am
post #7 of 11

You don't take vacation during wedding season.. Or you need to have somebody else able to make the cake when you are away! 

I met up with several venues in town to be in their preferred vendor list; they usually have many vendors on it but they also advise the brides with the one they like most or that can match better the bride's needs. 

Brookebakescake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 1:04am
post #8 of 11

I think Snowflake said it best : You just need to have an open conversation with this hotel.  You can offer them either option (to book and then offer the bride one of several simple designs.... OR the hotel will just give the bride your business card and the bride will call you for a consultation).  Which would you prefer? Or you could do a hybrid where the hotel will offer the bride one of the simple cakes, included in their price, but she can come to you if she would like something above and beyond.  It's really just going to come down to the conversation you have with the hotel and the terms you like best.

amartin1900 Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 1:11am
post #9 of 11

Former employer crying said to another employer," you think you own your business, but really it owns you.

Sorry if that's harsh, but I don't want that in my life. People have different goals for there business. Mine is to pay my bills and have time for the more important things, not to be booked every weekend of the year. 

That employer was crying because she couldn't be with her husband at the hospital. It was a cupcake shop. 

Being a preferred vendor is not an issue. I'm looking at creating a savings package for brides while maintaining the ability to say no if I need to. 

amartin1900 Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 1:13am
post #10 of 11

I think you are right Brooke. I'll set up the meeting and then I'll post the results here. Thank you all!

Brookebakescake Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 1:15am
post #11 of 11

Please do! Good luck and congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%