European Buttercream Questions

Decorating By fancypantsgoodies Updated 27 Aug 2015 , 7:29am by mccantsbakes

fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys, I am trying to use the search function but getting an error - so apologies if this is redundant.

Need to find a "standard" recipe for italian meringue buttercream and know how much one "standard" recipe will ice, considering that these buttercreams take so long to make. 

I have a two tier, 2 layers each cake to make for this Saturday (9" and 6") and a three tier, two layers each wedding cake to make for 9/5. I am embarrassed to say I have never used any of the European buttercreams out of laziness, but the last cake I did was annoyingly painful to work with because the buttercream was slightly too thin. I want to try these other buttercreams because I hear that they are a dream to work with. I welcome opinions on which is better between Swiss and Italian. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

11 replies
amartin1900 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 12

I like this italian bc. It was fine on my first try.

Here is my own fluffy bc recipe. Very similar to the meringue bc s but faster

fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 12

Hi there - thanks for the response. I haven't see a recipe like this before. Do you use this for all kinds of cakes? 

amartin1900 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 12

It is completely mine, the original had no cream cheese in it. It is for my customers that aren't into sweet sweet bc. I love that you can control how sweet it is. I used it for a wedding cake. The room was so hot, about 80degrees. It was fine. I wouldn't go hotter than that. So I don't off er it in texas summer for weddings. Pardon the stained expression on my facelaughing.png55dde6267c346.jpeg

julia1812 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 12

julia1812 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 12

Have a look at this chart for the amount of bc you need. Hope it helps.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 12

pretty cake, amartin --

i like swiss better than italian because it is smooth as glass and easier to repair -- once it gets cold you can wipe away spatula marks with your fingers/spatula and smoothy smoothy the surface -- and i don't like to do the slow steady stream into the mixer bowl like you do with the italian -- it seems at the time i tested i had to use a thermometer with the italian which at the time i was allergic to (thermometers :) 

but you're gonna wanna try the cooked flour buttercream too -- wilton called it french buttercream back in the day -- it's not the one with yolks though -- apparently it's not good under fondant like the meringue ones are though so there's that -- 

but these buttercreams do not crust so it's a different animal to smooth them out so test first -- you can add some cornstarch to your regular buttercream to help it stand up better and reduce your liquid too --

best to you

fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 12

WOW! That is awesome! I may have to give that a try!! :)

fancypantsgoodies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 12

I was going nuts last night going through the swiss buttercream tutorials and recipes, and then texted my pastry chef friend this morning and she swears by italian. I like the "smooth as glass" option - are both really light and easy to work with? What are the differences between the two other than the preparation? 

crnewbold Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 12

Nothing to add, just want to be able to find the amartin1900 fluffy frosting recipe later.

julia1812 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:07am
post #11 of 12

@Fancypantsgoodies: Very generally the difference between swiss and Italian buttercream is the process of making them. Like k8 I'm also not a fan of a sturdy stream of hot sugar and am making smbc.

mccantsbakes Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:26am
post #12 of 12

I have never tried IMBC.   I am an SMB gal all the way.  

Here is an awesome tutorial for SMB

I also recently discovered that SMB can be made without whipping the egg whites and sugar to a meringue then  adding butter.    You can make the egg white /sugar syrup and then add the butter simultaneously in a mixer and whip them together to a creamy consistency and it turns out the same as the traditional method.   You can even use carton whites which reduce yolk waste.   I found this recipe and tried it and I love it for when I am feeling LAZY.  You can also freeze the egg/sugar syrup for fast prep for future batches.

I am sure someone will say that not whipping the whites before adding the butter is wrong....but I SWEAR it works JUST FINE...with fresh or carton whites.  Easy peasy. 

*Last edited by mccantsbakes on 27 Aug 2015 , 7:29am

Quote by @%username% on %date%