Carousel Cake Top. Easiest Way To Make This?

Decorating By Mybearsbaby Updated 28 Aug 2015 , 8:53am by Shockolata

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 17

First I just want to say thanks. I know when I have a question about a cake design I am presented with, I can ask my fello cakers' opinion, and yall are so helpful with your replies. <3

I have been asked to make this carousel cake. If it were you, how would you make this one? (The top part). And after it is made, how would you make it steady? What could I make the top from so it isn't too heavy? I will enclose a picture in the comments.

16 replies
Mybearsbaby Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 17

55ddca1d2ff92.jpeg

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 17

I think I would start by making a sample with card stock paper; just to get the sizing.  I would make the "top" out of very thinly rolled gum paste attached to a piece of styrofoam from the craft store (if I could find the styrofoam.)  If I couldn't, I would probably cut styrofoam to what I needed it to be.  I would want the stability so nothing went crashing.  I would then put a dowel rod all the way through the cake to the bottom to support the top.  I would use a dowel that I could get a striped straw over so the I would have that cool pole.  Just what I would do.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 17

Great ideas! How would I attach the horse to the straw? 

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 17

I would use candy coating to make a strong hold.

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 17

By the way, in Jessica's craftsy class, she makes the top of the carrousel with rice krispies so it's light. 

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 17

It's a fondant base with a straw over a doweling rod and a dressed cocktail umbrella on the top followed by a toothpick and more fondant... :) The horse is pink candy melt used on a mould.

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 17

Is that your cake Shockolata? And is it a small onet? I'm not sure what size the OP is planning on making.

Mybearsbaby Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 17

I am planning to do a 6". 

Shockolata Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 12:33am
post #11 of 17

@imagenthatnj  goodness me, that is not my cake but I think this is how it was made. I eyeball it to be a small cake because I see the serving platter, then the board and then the cake. Also the size of the straw is important in figuring out dimensions. So what would fit inside a straw and be umbrella shape? A cocktail umbrella. You open it up and dress it in fondant. I can see a bit on the left of it that looks like wood. I am going to search the image and see who's created it.

Shockolata Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 12:48am
post #12 of 17

This cake was designed by https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marlise-Ross-CAKES/427519517343130?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser however, the cake pictured above is a copy and you can easily tell it by the lack of attention to detail. If you are really keen on doing this cake, why not contact Marlise directly and see if she is willing to divulge her method? 

Mybearsbaby Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:48am
post #13 of 17

Thanks Shockolata! It looks like she has stopped making cakes, which is a shame, because it looks like she did a good job with them. I think I am gonna try out a few of the suggestions here, and buy the Craftsy class as well. The class will likely be a good resouce for future cakes besides just this one. 

Does anyone know where I can find a good horse mold? 

Shockolata Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 17

Just put 'horse mold' in a search engine! ;)

imagenthatnj Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 17

That crafsy class is a gem. It would be good to get it at $20. I think they're having a sale and you can always go to Jessica Harris' blog to get the 50% off coupon. I saw the party where the other cake comes from, and yes, it's a small one. I did a moving carousel cake for my niece 8 yeas ago and I wish I had the craftsy class back then.

Shockolata, you were speaking with such authority about the cake that I thought it was yours! I also hadn't seen the lack of attention to detail since I was just trying to help while I'm at work!

Shockolata Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 8:53am
post #17 of 17

Lol funny how a quickly written response can sound like that, eh? By the way, I found an umbrella mold that would work for the carousel top. But I also thought of a way of using rice crispies to make the canopy part. The carousel horse mold you discovered is ideal - well done! Ships to the UK, too. The only ones I found here were £50 !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%