A Commercial Kitchen? Building Outside?

Business By karenamr95 Updated 26 Aug 2015 , 5:52pm by craftybanana2

karenamr95 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 4:10am
post #1 of 4

cottage food law i cannot make over $15,000 a year and what happens if i do? i am going to register my llc company and name soon

i looked into renting commercial kitchens but there isnt really any in my areaor i am just having a hard time finding one. i figure if all goes well with my booth rentali i would look more into renting the commercial kitchen

Can you make a outdoor commercial kitchen if it is inclosed and has all the rules and regulations?

while searching online a outdoor commercial kitchen popped up in another state link http://www.abramscreek.com/kitchen.html

so could i eventually do something like that in my yard space? or patio as long as it has everything i need?

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 11:25am
post #2 of 4

maybe, hope so but that's all up to your specific local laws

Webake2gether Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 4

It's varies state by state and even county by county  here in Illinios a commercial kitchen has to be attached to primary dwelling but separate from you home kitchen.  Check your local health dept., city zoning, and state laws and ordinances.  Here the cottage food law allows I think $27,000 a year basically when you hit that your done and all sales must take place at. Farmers market. I'm doing the commercial kitchen in my home. Construction is going on right now actually  it's the most expensive option outside of opening a store front but it allows me to make however much I want without any restrictions on where orders take place. There are tons of rules and regulations but once you get a few steps under your belt it gets better :) I looked into renting a commercial kitchen and that was a bigger headache than the all the kitchen construction combined!!! I want to be on my own time and bake around the rest of my life so renting wasn't a good option for me personally.

One question is why did you choose to be an llc? I've got an accountant and he said that starting as a llc while we're still small will cost us more in taxes. We are doing a joint venture but sounds like if it's just you a sole proprietorship would be an option. I'd check with an accountant before you make any decisions if you haven't already. There is soooo much more to opening up as a business than baking that actually becomes the smallest detail in the whole deal. I thought that would be the biggest most important part and it's not. Being legal and having everything up to code and all your financial ducks in a row is far more important that firing up the oven . Hope I wasn't a Debbie downer but I'm speaking from current experience and I think it's important to know all the steps diving in head first :)

craftybanana2 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 4

If you are looking into a commercial kitchen, check with the health department. You would probably have to be zoned correctly for that as well, and check with your home owner's insurance, some have a clause that say you can't operate a business out of your home. And if you are getting licensed for purposes of making over 15k a year, then you need to comply with restaurant/food service laws which require a lot more.

As for kitchens, check with your local community college cafeteria, they may rent space or know of someone who does.

Start small now, and build up to bigger later.

Here is a place to start though http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/hr/faqs/hr_faq_catering.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%