How To Clean Ganache Off Board?

Decorating By craftybanana2 Updated 26 Aug 2015 , 9:48pm by -K8memphis

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 2:54am
post #1 of 13

Hi all. I've seen several threads about how to clean buttercream off the cake board, but what about ganache? I tried a damp paper towel last time and it merely smeared the chocolate around. I don't really want to try the wax paper method because with a 2:1 ratio, I'm afraid it will pull off when it's hard. Also, I should mention that I don't have a cake lifter. Any tips for next time? Because the ganache seemed popular and they will probably ask for that next time too. The cake boards I've used so far are the Wilton cardboard ones and a bakery-bought one that seemed more "water proof" on the top than the Wilton ones.

Edited: wanted to add that if you need to see what I'm talking about, I've only got one cake in my gallery.

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 26 Aug 2015 , 2:56am
12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 13

different ways, cb2, one way is to use a small cake size board then place that on the larger clean board after icing, affix together with a dollop of icing  -- if you do the waxed paper covering on the board then just run your spatula or a pairing knife around to 'cut' the icing so the paper removes cleanly and doesn't pull off your hard work --

best to you always

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 13

you can purchase waxed coated boards that are easier to clean too -- or you could chill it in the fridge and the stray icing will pop off when it's cold -- but it still might leave a brown mark on the unwaxed paper on the board

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 13

I second K8memphis's advice: use an edge card (they are 1.4 mm thick) under the actual cake and place it with the cake on top of the turntable to ice. It does not matter how much mess you make on the turntable whilst covering the cake with ganache because any extra will stay on the turntable and then can be easily washed with warm water. Use one or two wide knives to lift your cake onto the proper cake board (thickness: 12 mm) but remember to put a bit of ganache on the cake board to stick the cake on (without removing the edge card) so it does not slide! PS: don't worry about the ganache breaking up because if you used waxed strips of paper to line under the edges of your cake, you would pull these off whilst the ganache was still pliable NOT after you had refrigerated the cake! Any gaps can easily be covered with a tiny palette knife or be masked under a ribbon or piping. Be brave and try! :)

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you for the ideas! I wish I had a turn table, but my last cake was too big for one anyways, ha ha (8x16) and hubby had to help me put it in the box. Wax paper strips might work with cutting the icing before removing, why didn't I think of that? Great ideas, thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 13

i have a footed turntable that has a 12" top and when i do a cake that size it fits fine -- the over hang is just three inches on each side -- when i do a sheet cake i put an upside down sheet pan on the turntable first -- you have to be careful turning it -- i often stick my hands under there to measure/make sure my margins are still equal -- but works fine -- i have a sweet cake acquaintance who does not use a turntable at all -- boggles my weedy brain but she is a brilliant, gifted and sweet caker --

and fwiw when i have a tiny cake i flip my turntable over so i can use the smaller 6" end -- i had a boss who got a  little  wonky when i flipped my turntable over -- she would be there to assist me turning it back over although i didn't need any help -- it upset her equilibrium -- hahahaha but it didn't bother me -- she was a sweet person -- great business person -- screamed a little -- nobody's perfect right -- real good caker too 

facepunch.png

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 26 Aug 2015 , 6:32pm
Shockolata Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 13

A turntable is a must and will save you so much time. Try to buy one with a level surface (I bought one on offer when I hardly understood what I was doing and it has some rubber dots on the edges which makes it near impossible to lift a cake with a cake lifter unless I use two cake bases - one to make the surface level and one to work on. By the way, the cake lifter I bought was not really great, either. The handle feels weird in my hand and the balancing is off. Hopefully when you can afford to buy such stuff, you can go to the shop and view them and not buy them online like I did :)

Now, how to do stuff without a turntable? Never underestimate the value of food tins! (Cans.) I use my cans to support the upturned cake pans to prevent my cakes sinking. Who needs Angel Cake moulds when they have cans in the kitchen!

The other thing that you will find most useful is a cake leveller. You can pick a cheap one. Having a cake leveller means you can bake in one pan and save yourself some washing ;) It also means you have a wider choice of how tall a layer is.

I saw your cake and it was good despite the ganache smudges. Soon you will master this technique and will be able to look at how far you've come with pride. Keep at it! :)

Shockolata Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 13

@-K8memphis  is it easier to work on a smaller cake when you turn the turntable over? I overcome any problems by placing a thick cake board on top of the turntable and then using a thin card under the cake to decorate it. I don't think I can turn my turntable over, but what a clever idea for those that can! 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 13

yes the footed ones like this, shockalata, i use the first one -- all metal

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/revolving-cake-stand.html

not to mention you get the added bonus of unsettling your boss 

bad kate bad kate

smiling_imp.png

Shockolata Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 13

"Bad Kate"..., does it come apart when you try to lift it? Because mine does and it is a source of much aggro. :) I can't believe how much cheaper some things are over the pond! Here's mine: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PME-Multi-Purpose-Turntable-Decorating/dp/B001TDZZ48/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1440615578&sr=8-1&keywords=PME+turntable

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 13

yes it comes apart -- ouch yours is too small huh

Shockolata Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 13

I don't know about the size, just found one that looks like it and posted a pic. It probably is small, 8-9 inches? 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 13

i like 12" ones -- 12" on top 6"on the other end

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%