Need Your Opinion On Fondant!!!

Decorating By Mrs.K Updated 15 Sep 2015 , 11:23am by Mrs.K

Mrs.K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs.K Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:44am
post #1 of 12

I began my cake decorating time in Canada with all the tools and products I could ever want at my finger tips. I have moved to South Korea where such luxuries do not exist. One 20lb tub of satin ice costs $191.00!!!! I'm not about to pay that. 

I'm looking for info on which scratch fondant recipe works best for you in humid climates. I've tried a few but they are too hard and crack when laid on the cake. Ideally I would need one that does not require shortening as I can't easily find it here, at least not a good name brand. 

Looking for a sturdy recipe that will hold up on a 3D cake I need to make next month. Pictures of the recipe you've used to cover a cake would also be great. Just a link for the page or details of the cake in your profile would be great. My son is really excited about his cake this year. I really need your help!!!

11 replies
Julie Jones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie Jones Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 4:19am
post #2 of 12

Hi! My easy, go-to recipe for rolled fondant is to use about 16 oz. marshmallows, melt slowly in microwave with 3 tbsp. water, and mix in 2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar in a KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook. It should form a solid ball. Might have to use a little more powdered sugar if it is very humid. I sometimes have that same problem here. Of course, shortening is the best to use to grease your hands and a rolling mat or countertop when working with the fondant, but I'm sure dusting the surfaces with cornstarch or powdered sugar would work just fine. 

If you don't have a stand mixer, then you can mix the melted marshmallows and powdered sugar by hand in a large bowl, and then later knead it on a mat or countertop, but it would just be a bit more messy. Here's a handy video about how to do it that way. Although, I think she uses smaller measurements to make a smaller batch of fondant. Mine makes enough to cover 3 small or 2 medium cakes. Hope this helps! 

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFXvVj8CtvQM&h=RAQFtSQWG&s=1

Oh, and here are some picture of cakes I've made, on my website. All fondant cakes were made with this homemade MMF. :)

http://outoftheboxcakes.yolasite.com/photo-gallery.php

*Last edited by Julie Jones on 25 Aug 2015 , 4:39am
Jels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jels Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 5:18am
post #3 of 12

Try Michele Foster's fondant recipe. It's somewhere on this site. It works great!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 12

idk -- but what would happen if you added some candy clay to your fondant that's too hard and cracky? just as a test -- can you do candy clay there?

Mrs.K Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 12

Never heard of candy clay before.  Like modelling chocolate? 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 12

yes the same thing but not made with cocoa butter made with vegetable oil

Mrs.K Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 12

I will have a look into it.  Thanks. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 12

best to you

cupkakesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkakesp Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 12

I use this.. Not sure who to give credit to as I found it online somewhere.  All my cakes are made with this fondant (in my photos).  I grease my bowl with 2tbsp of butter,  add 64 large marshmallows (not the big overly huge only-need-one marshmallows), I then add 2tbsp of water and 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla, and 1 1/2 tsp of whatever other flavour I want (or all vanilla), and microwave it.  When it's ready I add 1tbsp of light corn syrup and gradually mix in 7-8 cups of icing sugar (depending on the texture I'm going for).  I also sometimes use melted chocolate in this recipe..  Instead of 64 mm.. I use 56mm,  I melt 1/4 cup of chocolate (white or dark) before my marshmallow mixture.  And when the mixture is done, I add the corn syrup, melted chocolate, and powdered sugar as stated earlier.  

cupkakesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkakesp Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 12

Can't figure out how to edit.. But should also add that when I use the chocolate, I only use 2tsps of flavouring altogether..  And I do use a little less than 1/4cup of shortening to knead it..

Mrs.K Posted 14 Sep 2015 , 7:06am
post #11 of 12

Thanks everyone. The birthday is coming soon so I think I will try MFF. and see how that goes. I'll post a pic if it turns out well. 

Mrs.K Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 11:23am
post #12 of 12

So I tried Michele Foster's Fondant. I think the sugar may have done me in. It wasn't a fine sugar. As I said, I live in Asia, and all the products we find at home aren't necessarily the same, even if labeled so. The fondant is quite dry and just breaks apart. I tried adding more glucose but it just became sticky. I tried adding some cornstarch as it has a softer texture than the sugar. It is softer but also cracks if I lay it over the edge of a glass or box.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%