Signatures On Contract

Business By 2kats Updated 3 Sep 2015 , 5:21am by SimplyCakesNMore

2kats Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 3

Just wondering what everyone does to get a signature on a contract if you take the order by phone or email.  Do you type up a contract and email it to them.  They have to print it out and send back?  Seems like there should be an electronic way for them to sign the contract and email it back.  Do you get signatures every time or just email them a contract without them having to sign and send back.  Just wondering what everyone else does. 

2 replies
costumeczar Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 3

I asked an attorney client of mine and he said that technically you could PROBABLY get away with a copy of the contract that had a signature and had been scanned and emailed to you, but it's still best to get a copy with the actual signature. It apparently depends on where you are and what the judge feels like doing that particular day, but after talking to him about it I was left with the feeling that I should get originals of every signature and not rely on copied ones.

When I give a client a contract I give them an unsigned original, have them sign it and send it back to me (by mail) and then I sign it and send them a copy back. I don't give anyone anything that has my signature until I have the one with theirs. I've had people try to alter my contract by striking parts out, and if I'd given them a signed copy to begin with it would look like I'd agreed to that.

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 5:21am
post #3 of 3

Most of my orders are done through email.  I send them an email with the contract as an attachment for them to print, sign, and return along with their retainer when it's convenient for them.  I hadn't thought of having them mail it to me or me mail it to them but I'll keep that in mind for the future!  I also let them know that I won't hold their event date until I have that contract and the retainer in-hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%