Friday Night Cake Club For 8/21/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 24 Aug 2015 , 8:13pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 2:43am
post #1 of 19

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can. ALL levels of work are fun to see so I hope we'll see LOTS tonight!

Cat

18 replies
catlharper Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 2:48am
post #2 of 19

Hi everyone!

Well, it's been a busy week. I've been on 2 job interviews and actually got one of the jobs. It is a commute to that one so I'm still looking for something a bit closer to home while they do the whole background check thing. Just a part time thing to give me travel money and work off some of our moving debt.

This week also was all about getting ready for our granddaughters birthday party/housewarming party which is happening tomorrow. The theme is the movie Inside Out so that is what I've worked on today. Here is the beginning photo...there are cupcakes to be made in the morning and a few more decorations for on top but I promise to take a photo of the whole display tomorrow! Here is the quick snap from tonight! Ithe figures are plastic)

55d7e2e56155c.jpeg

catlharper Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 2:49am
post #3 of 19

OH! Btw...new technique used. I painted the "memory balls" with a 1-1 mix of vodka and corn syrup to make them that shiny! It takes over night to dry so that's why some of the stuff is still missing from the top of the cake...they are still drying! But I love the way it looks! Truly really, really shiny!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:16am
post #4 of 19

@catlharper  I love how you did the letters!  What a fun cake smile.png. This is a cake for a triathlon enthusiast.

55d7e97691e68.jpeg

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:49am
post #5 of 19

55d7f14256c9c.jpeg55d7f142dd9c4.jpegThis is a simple cake made for my best mates mum and step dad Poppy's r her favourite flower first free hand flower really pleased with how they turned out

catlharper Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:49am
post #6 of 19

@Pastrybaglady  Thanks! I figured that Jilly is ALL of the emotions so her name should be made up of all the colors. I started out with a white piece and layered on the colored circles and then rolled that up and down and back and forth to make the "fabric" for me to use my cutters on. I love the way they look too!

I adore your waves!!! So it's Swim, Run and Bike? Right? Is that his/her "number" on the front? Very cool. I hope they love it!

Cat

catlharper Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:51am
post #7 of 19

@shellbell181  How very elegant! I love the flowers as well as the design...very fluid, especially the white swirls!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 5:45am
post #8 of 19

@catlharper  Actually I think it's swim, bike, run... but what do I know.  I don't do any of it!

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 5:52am
post #9 of 19

Hey all!  I see a lot of great things done this week, kudos to everyone!  I am not where I can post the things I worked on this week but I have a favor to aske of everyone.  Please read the post http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/824331/animal-lovers-please-read.  This is something that should really be acknowledged and not ignored.  Maybe some of you can help spread the word about these poor babies and they can be found loving homes.  I myself have not found the (courage?) to view the Facebook page but that is because of my own demons concerning animal cruelty.  I know this has nothing to do with cakes and/or baking but not everything on this site does.  Please at least read the post if you will then decide about going to the Facebook page yourself.  I know I am asking a lot but this is something I feel very strongly about and getting the word out is the only way to help end the cycle and help the poor babies that can't help themselves.  Sorry if this intrudes on the overall purpose of this particular forum but it is important.  Thanks in advance and I am sorry if this offends anyone.

Angela

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 6:03am
post #10 of 19

It's nearly 1 a.m. and I'm about half way through with my cake for this week, lol.  I decided to take a small break as my cake chills.  It's just a 6" cake with 24 cupcakes.  My first Avengers cake!  I love all things Marvel so this request was a dream project for me.  I still have to build the cupcake tower, cover the cake in fondant and give it the "broken brick" look, and then place all of my decorations on it... once they are dry.  I'm praying the dry in time for delivery!  I used LMF with Tylose powder, so... fingers crossed.  I need lots more practice not procrastinating!  But I've got two under 2, lol.  So I'm allowed a little excuse, right? ;)  Anyway, here is my collection of cupcake toppers and two of my decorations...55d810c520b8d.jpeg

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 7:23am
post #11 of 19

I love the film inside out! 

My only cake this week was a last minute order. You know, the ones that start out "I know it's last minute, but I'd be really grateful if you could fit me in to do something small and simple..." 

55d82377c482b.jpeg

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 19

Hey everyone, hope you all had an amazing week!

So many beautiful cakes this week heart_eyes.png

@catlharper  I am obsessed with that cake! I recently saw Inside Out and the movie was so good haha! I really like how you did the letters on the cake!

@Pastrybaglady  beautiful work as always, your buttercream is so smooth!

@shellbell181  Adorable cake, you did a really good job on the flowers!

@SimplyCakesNMore  Your toppers look fantastic! When my toppers don't dry on time, I usually place them in a different box and hand them to the customer, and I tell them to place them on before serving them.

@cara1982  That is such a beautiful cake! I love cakes that have exploding stars haha! Boy, have I ever heard that sentence one too any times as well..

Anyways, so here's my work for the week:

A simple Frozen themed birthday cake. I had so much fun putting the glitter on the crown smile.png

8EZ5wRRZRB-frozen-themed-birthday-cake_900.jpg

I'm gonna do ahead and call this a travel theme cake and cake pops for a wedding lol. I made 75 cake pops and it was one of those moments when I was quoting and thinking "well, this should be easy and it won't take long." I was so WRONG. They took forever to do!

sxBEDAtIOO-tracking-dots-airplane-wedding-cake_900.jpgFa3eoK9Amy-earth-cake-pops_900.jpg

And finally I made 98 cupcakes for a community event:

kQkpqv30sw-frosted-cupcakes_900.jpg

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 19

Looks like everyone had a good week!!! Your cakes all look great!!! I made cupcakes this week but nothing fancy or post worthy just trying out some flavors. Construction on the kitchen is coming along pretty good. The electrical got done this week and the plumber is hopefully coming Tuesday or Wednesday he's been on vacation so who knows when he'll come lol. We ripped up the carpet only to discover that someone had glued carpet directly on the concrete and it's been a headache trying to figure out what to do with the floor now. So hopefully we'll have a productive week and I've got it on my head we'll take orders by September 15th.....wishful thinking probably lol :)

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 1:14am
post #14 of 19

Wow, some beautiful cakes this week!  I love trolling this thread when it pops up each week.  I did a birthday cake using a buttercream on buttercream stenciling using all natural food coloring.  I love that my daughter let ms try things out with her on birthdays.  I should have used a 12 inch board for this 8 inch, and next time chill the cake for at least an hour or more before attempting the buttercream stenciling on top. (and today of all days, my buttercream was bubble city)  But its wonderful to have the chance to give something a go.

55d91ea283ee9.jpeg

*Last edited by Singerssoul on 23 Aug 2015 , 1:15am
catlharper Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 19

Hi everyone! Here is the cake/cupcakes on the table! 55da0b2bd49e6.jpegIt was a really big hit with everyone! We had a great time that continued into a grown up party after the kids went to bed! Long day ahead just cleaning up! LOL!

Love everyone's creations but my grandson is totally excited over the Super Hero cake and loved the Frozen cake too!

Cat

SweetShop5 Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 2:47pm
post #16 of 19

@catlharper  Everything looks amazing!

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 5:32pm
post #17 of 19

@SweetShop5   your work is so impressive!  I love the clean lines and sharp edges.

@Singerssoul  It looks good!  Every cake made is a lesson learned for me.  :)

@catlharper  I love, love, love it!  I have yet to see the movie, but your work is awesome!

Here is mine all put together and finished.  I learned many things in this endeavor.  One being to be sure to order modeling chocolate for the next Hulk hand I do.  I made my usual LMF and added Tylose to it but it was not holding its shape the way I wanted it to.  In fact, none of the hands were.  The LMF was just way too soft.  :(  Anyway, the child it was for loved it and that is all that matters.  And I need to give a shout out to the designer that I borrowed the design from, Lori's Sweet Cakes... hers is sooooo much better than mine.

55db551c5d8e8.jpeg

SweetShop5 Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 19

@SimplyCakesNMore  Thank you so much! Your cake and cupcakes turned out amazing!! I love the bricks on the cake and the different icing colours. Everything ties up so nicely relaxed.png

catlharper Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 19

@SweetShop5  They were a hit...especially for the grand daughter!

SimplyCakesNMore  Oh my, you need to see the movie! It is just wonderful!  A big hit with the whole family.

And speaking of big hits with the family...we all LOVE your cake/cupcakes. Captain America is a "thing" for my SIL so this cake went over big. The rest of the guys just love the Avengers so anything featuring members of that group goes over big! LOL!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%