Bunnywoman Recipe Doubt

Baking By Juli2527 Updated 23 Nov 2015 , 4:11pm by Apti

Juli2527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juli2527 Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 17

hi, i am about to try bunnywoman's buttercream recipe, and would like to know if this holds to pipe simple dropflowers or borders on the sides of the cake?

Thanks

16 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 6:29am
post #2 of 17

YES.    I use bunny's frosting all the time. 

Juli2527 Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks @Apti !

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 17

I also use Bunnywoman's recipe. The only problem I have with it, is when I try to make 1/2 batch. It never comes out right.  So I always make a full batch and never have problems.

Apti Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 17

I never make a small batch of frosting.  If I'm going to all the hassle of making the stuff, I want a LOT!   This buttercream freezes/defrosts beautifully and it is a lovely feeling to know that you have quarts and quarts of frozen buttercream ready to slap on some new cakes or cupcakes.

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 17

@Apti- I barely started baking again (use to sell cakes about 8 years ago) and I am trying different recipes of cakes, so I only make a 1/2 recipe of everything. I don't eat very much cake and neither does my family so I would end up throwing away cakes/cupcakes. (My freezer can't take anymore cake!) So I tried making the icing in a half recipe. Now I know better and just make a full batch and throw extra in freezer. I know bake my test recipes on Saturday and on Sunday I give them to the Nursery Dept. Volunteers at church on Sunday, so no waste and they give me feedback.

On another note, I tried Bunnywomans recipe with all shortening and it did not come out very good. I did use the store brand shortening since it still has trans fat, but I didn't like it. I stick with the butter/shortening combo. Has anyone tried the recipe with all Crisco??

Apti Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 17

Even though many existing ("old") recipes say "Crisco", recipes were used for years BEFORE Crisco changed their recipe to NON-TRANS-FAT around 2011. The current Crisco does NOT perform the same way it used to perform.

Where the recipe calls for Crisco, substitute (if possible) the following:

BEST BY A MILE: High Ratio Shortening (this is only available from specialty cake stores or online. You cannot find this at a grocery store.)

2nd BEST: Grocery store brand white vegetable shortening that still lists 2-3 grams of trans-fat on the ingredients label IF you can still find it in your local store before the stock is all used up.

USE ONLY AS LAST RESORT IF #1 OR #2 ABOVE NOT AVAILABLE: White Crisco (not butter flavored). It will still work, and nobody else but you will know that it is a little grainy and not as smooth as it would be with one of the products in 1st or 2nd place above.)

@cakemom21 ~~ Even though I said I use Bunny's buttercream, technically, I don't use 'Bunny's buttercream', I use Bunny's Mock Shack buttercream which does contain butter.  I have made and used Bunny's BC, but prefer the Mock Shack version.  If I'm using an all shortening recipe, I use the Indydebi recipe with no butter. 

Even though I infrequently hobby bake, I DO purchase 50 lb. containers of High Ratio Zero Trans Fat Formula from a nearby wholesaler that sells to local hobby bakers.  I freeze it in smaller, usable chunks.  I do NOT use Crisco, but if I absolutely HAD to use Crisco, I'm pretty dang sure that nobody eating the frosting would pass out and die and start screaming, "This isn't as smooth!!!!!  What the &^*%$ have you done!!!!  Oh....the humanity!!!".  I'm pretty sure they'd eat the cake/cupcakes/frosting and say, "Yummy!".

If you want the recipe for Bunny's Mock Shack with shortening/butter OR the Indydebi all shortening recipe, let me know.

Juli2527 Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 17

Thank you all for your replies! You helped me a lot!

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 17

I'd love to see Bunny's Mock Shack recipe.  I can't seem to find it by using the site search feature.

Apti Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 17

MOCK SHACK CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM

2 cups hi ratio shortening
2 cups unsalted butter....softened to room temp!
1 TBSP vanilla flavoring
1 TBSP almond flavoring
1 TBSP butter flavoring
1/3 cup extra rich dry coffee creamer
1/3 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon popcorn salt
4 pounds pure cane powdered sugar

Place softened butter and shortening into your mixing bowl and beat with the paddle attachment for about 7-8 minutes until it has lightened in color and is nice and creamy in texture. (I use Kitchen-Aid mixer, speed 6.) This recipe nicely fits in 6 quart bowl lift KA, and tightly in a 5 qt. bowl.

While that is mixing, measure out 1/3 cup of water. Place this into the microwave and heat till boiling. Combine the boiling water and the 1/3 cup of dry coffee creamer. Stir until it has dissolved completely. Add in the popcorn salt to this hot liquid and stir to dissolve.

Then add liquid flavorings to the shortening/butter mixture, blend well.

Using the lowest setting on your mixer, alternate the powdered sugar and coffee creamer liquid until all is incorporated nicely. Turn the mixer up to speed 6 and beat for 8-9 minutes. The frosting will get nice and fluffy and a wonderful creamy texture.

Yield: 4 quarts (16 cups)
This crusting buttercream is not heat stable due to the butter in it.

You can mix and match up any flavorings that you like. For 4 pounds of icing, add in 4-6 drops Lorann oil flavoring and blend very well.

*Last edited by Apti on 22 Aug 2015 , 11:56pm
sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 3:36am
post #11 of 17

What would be the max room temp this could stand out in and for how long? Thanks!

Apti Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 7:47am
post #12 of 17

With no scientific evidence whatsoever, I've personally found that this frosting holds up well into 80 degree temps, inside a home.  Outside, that's another story entirely and the butter in the frosting will cause it to melt.    If a cake is being served at the beach or outside, I use the Indydebi 100% shortening (no butter) recipe.

sparkledee3 Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 2:41pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you Apti! Very helpful.

Apti Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 17

You're welcome.  btw, I always make a double batch regardless of how much I need for any project and freeze the leftovers.  Great time saver on the next project.

sparkledee3 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 4:39am
post #15 of 17

Will a half recipe come out creamy or airy? Want to try it as listed with those flavorings, but not sure if I would like the almond or not so I thought about trying a half recipe.

ummjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ummjade Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 8:25pm
post #16 of 17

Hi Apti, Do you by chance have bunnywomans rolled  buttercream recipe? Thanks 

*Last edited by ummjade on 22 Nov 2015 , 8:26pm
Apti Posted 23 Nov 2015 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 17

No, I only had the link.  The Wilton Discussion forum is apparently broken right now and no one can access threads.  You may try google and see if it is on someone else's blog or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%