Customer Dropped 2 Dozen Cupcakes

Business By maybeline46 Updated 19 Sep 2015 , 12:22pm by -K8memphis

maybeline46 Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 11

I made an order of 4 dozen pudding injected cupcakes. They are fairly expensive to make, therefore I charge $3.50 per cupcake. A new client met my boyfriend at our building and he brought them down to her in the lobby. She was taking a cab back home. I was flying today so I couldn't be there. They were in those plastic large dome cupcake containers that hold 12 each. I told her I was concerned about how she would transport them on the subway and that was when she told me she would be in a cab (we're in NYC). 

A a few minutes after she picked them up she messaged me and said "they look absolutely delicious! Unfortunately I dropped two of them outside of your building! Oh well, it could be worse! 

Thank you again.  I know everyone will enjoy them."

How  should I respond? Should I offer to make more in the morning for a reduced price? Should I refund a percentage? Should I just say Oh no! Never had this happen! Please give me some guidance!

10 replies
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 11

You don't owe her anything at all. Did she drop two or two dozen? I'm reading that message like she dropped two of them. And you definitely don't owe her a refund. She probably opened the container to look at them and dropped them, that's not your fault.

I'd respond with something like "Sorry that happened! Let me know how everyone liked them, hope the party goes well."

*Last edited by costumeczar on 21 Aug 2015 , 11:21pm
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 11

If she does ask you to make more, it would be for the regular price plus a rush fee, not for a discount. If you even feel like doing that last-minute.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 11

no refund --

most of them could still be serveable although maybe just a few got the stuffins aka pudding knocked out of 'em -- but if a lot of them were ruined you have a unique position to help make up the difference for her event -- if you want to -- she didn't ask you to make more though -- but this would be a time to make an nice inroad with a customer if you want -- I'd charge the same if she needs more and you have the time

Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 11

You had nothing to do with the mishap why would you punish yourself?  Think like a business.  If you crash your car would a dealership give you another?

little_jo Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 11

Great analogy!  My thoughts exactly.

sweetwhimsycakes Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 12:26am
post #7 of 11

I would thank her for her order and let her know that you will throw in two free cupcakes with her next order.  It was totally her fault, but everyone loves a "deal" and it gets you a return customer that knows you are concerned about her satisfaction.  Now...if she dropped TWO DOZEN of them..I would offer her a discount off her next order, but probably would not throw in a free two dozen.  What she is going to remember is that you offered something to make her mistake better, and that's the point. ;)

*Last edited by sweetwhimsycakes on 22 Aug 2015 , 12:28am
Jinkies Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 11

Totally agree with costumeczar, no need to offer her anything other than a nice "Oh, sorry that happened to you".  There is absolutely no need to offer her anything free or discounted.

Shockolata Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 11

I am with costumeczar on this. Empathise but do not offer anything. Is she returning the cupcake carriers? If so, you'll have a chance to talk with her and if she is a really nice person, next time she orders you can add a couple an extra cupcake for her to enjoy before the event. 

maybeline46 Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you everyone!  I ended up not offering anything and everything worked out.  Turned out she only dropped 2 cupcakes and not 2 whole containers which would have been 24 cupcakes.  I appreciate everyone's input and will keep this in mind for the future.  I guess the thing to keep in mind is that our time and ingredients can't be returned in situations like that, so no need to feel guilty.  I will try not to let my need to please impact my reactions to any drops or falls lol.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 11

oh good tragedy averted and good for you now you have a policy established -- thanks for the update

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%