So Can I Use A Paper Clip?.....

Decorating By lovelycaker Updated 21 Aug 2015 , 10:52pm by -K8memphis

lovelycaker Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there! So i need to attach some small figurienes/toys to the top of a sheet cake, its a plants vs zombies cake and i need to have alot of little guys standing on top of the cake. I dont want to use royal icing because the figures are skinny at the bottom and i dont want to risk the RI showing on top of my beautiful checkerboard fondant top, also i want it to be a little sturdier than just siting on top of RI. So can i bend paper clips and wrap them around the feet of the figures then just stick it into the top of the cake? Of course i will let my client know how many there are in her child's birthday cake!! But i'm wondering if it is "food safe" to stick paper clips into a cake for a few hours. Any advise would be appreciated!!

9 replies
melmar02 Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 10

I wouldn't use paper clips... I've never seen a box of paper clips with a statement saying what metal they were actually made of let alone being food safe.

melmar02 Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 10

Do the figures have holes in the bottom? Could you impale them on a tooth pick?

lovelycaker Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 10

Nope, no holes. I can use RI on basically all of them except 2 guys, they are zombies and the feet are really skinny and they dont stand up on their own... how do decoraters usually make figures stand up on a cake?

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 10

i ditto everything melmar said -- 

an idea is to lean the figurines up against sucker sticks or popsicle sticks inserted into the cake -- attach with a blob of icing or melted chocolate -- so the top of the stick hits at the lower shoulder area of the figurines so the figurine's leaning back a bit against the stick that is inserted at a bit of an angle--

but i don't understand not covering part of the top of the cake -- you want the figurines to hover over the cake? you'd have to build something to attach them to so they could hang down

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 21 Aug 2015 , 10:12pm
lovelycaker Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 10

I meant i didnt want to risk the RI peeking out beneith the figure's feet and onto my checkerboard top, i dont want blobs of RI showing all over the top of my cake- even if i do color the icing green it will still look bad.

Will royal icing hold up a 4 inch high figure?

I understand your idea about leaning them against sticks but i dont want the top of the cake to look busier than it already will. This is the photo my client showed me.....

Plants vs zombies

Amps.prkns Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 10

When I cults figurines I normally insert toothpicks into what ever part will touch the cake. Assuming your figurines are already hard and dry you can use the wire that is used for gumpaste flowers and wrap that around the feet and into the cake. Not sure what the top of your cake looks like. But if it's green like plants bs zombies my be you could pipe some royal icing grass and use that to hold up the figurines.?

lovelycaker Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 10

Ok so my client bought toys online to put on the cake so there are no holes to put a toothpick, so i can use wire for gumpaste flowers to wrap around the feet and stick into the cake? OK i think that is the best option for me, i will probably reinforce it with a little RI undernieth as well... Thanks for everyones input :)

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 10

if you can ensure there is no lead in the wire and whatever it is made of is food safe -- i

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 10

that type of wire often rusts when placed inside a cake and so it's inserted into straws first (before inserting) to protect the cake  from it so try something like that maybe

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 21 Aug 2015 , 10:52pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%