My Chocolate Dream Thru Chocolate Disasters..what To Do Different Next Time?

Decorating By cookiemum123

cookiemum123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemum123 Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 1

Hello...

I hope your summer has been exciting, peaceful and sweet! I've had plenty of opportunities to practice and create. Ha like I need a reason. Anyway I hadn't bake or sculpted a cake in some time and I've been eager to do more. So I made my mind up to bake a Poke'mon cake for my son. Thankfully he didn't mind because he still loves Poke'mon. 

So when your a little rusty, you're bound to have issues that was a given. The thing is i hadn't counted on the humidity reeking havoc with my modeling clay...but it did...I finally got it right on the third try by going to my daughter's apartment to use her microwave to make the melt the modeling chocolate properly and mix it with the corn syrup. It turned out great. She actually enjoyed making it with me. It is soo easy to make. So once I got past the modeling chocolate I was breathing a little easier with my son's birthday approaching. The only thing left was the cake.

I use this chocolate cake all the time. It's vegan with no dairy, but what i didn't count on was that it was too moist or that my oven was needed to be replaced so badly that it was now over cooking everything. No worries I pressed on and cut off the concrete edges as I sculpted the cake. I even used my disastrous modeling chocolate which was now like frosting to fill the cake. Looking back I left out a few key things that would given the cake the sturdiness.

one. add less of the liquid to create a denser cake

two. create a well to have more of a gauge for how much filling to put to create better layers

three. decide before where the toppers will go before placing them on the cake.

Lastly...I could use more tips and practice for measuring and placing the modeling chocolate to cover the cake

Below is a link to my blog to see the actual finished cake....The grass covered where its not so smooth hahaha! My son loves modeling chocolate so much he didn't share either of the toppers! 

Pokemon Cake

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%