Over Baking...i'm Guilty!

Baking By prettycupcake Updated 20 Aug 2015 , 10:11pm by jgifford

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 3

Hello Ladies, 

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight or suggestions; I always tend to over cake. Its really starting to effect my bottom line, I have cake coming up this weekend. She wants three stacked gift boxes to feed 80-85 servings. What size pans should I or you would use?? 

Please help!! 

2 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 3

Lower your temperature by 25 degrees if your pans are shiny or dark and check before the minimum baking time. :) If I bake at 350F in my shiny pans, my edges are dark and crusty, so I bake those at 325F. Some people even go down to 300F, but bake a bit longer. So if your recipe says bake for 30 minutes, check it at 25 or even 20 minutes. I was over baking my minis until I started checking earlier, took a few tries to get them just right though (dark-coated pan too).

As for serving sizes, check out Wilton, they have a great serving chart guide. I also like that it says how much batter per pan. :)

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

And yes, I sometimes over bake no matter what with the little guy getting into trouble, ha ha.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 3

Even a 10" X 8" X 6" will give you 100 servings per Wilton's chart. Any different combination you use is going to give you way over 85, even with a dummy in there somewhere.  However, if you go by Earlene's serving chart, that same combination will only give you 76 servings, so I would say it will probably work.  A lot depends on who's cutting the cake and how generous they are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%