Never Tried Wasc

Baking By cakegirl71 Updated 6 Oct 2015 , 9:12pm by kakeladi

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 15

I have heard a lot about WASC but have never tried it. Would it  be good for wedding cakes?

14 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, I like it because it's very dense, holds well and is easy to decorate. BUT It is quite sweet. You are adding sugar to a mix that already has sugar.  I don't use it very often anymore for that reason. IF you do use it, use an icing/frosting that isn't too sweet. I like Wilton's Whipped Cream Buttercream, which is NOT buttercream - it is shortening based. I do not like real buttercream, though....

If you want a really great dense home- made cake, use the Mermaid bakery vanilla butter cake

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 21 Aug 2015 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks Cakesrock. I will try it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 15

Here is the link to my *original* WASC recipe:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/55801/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Do try it.  I used it for all my wedding cakes besides the special occasion ones  for years :)   I don't see where is is any sweeter than any other cake.  Why would it be - you are adding not only sugar but flour and sourcream thereby making more 'cake mix'/batter.   Cake is meant to be sweet - it's a dessert.  What is sweet to one person is not to another just as what is spicy or sour is.  Do make your own choice. 
 As for it being 'very dense' - it's closer to a pound cake yet not as dense as one. 

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 15

Please do try this recipe, you will not be disappointed!  It has great texture and it is not too sweet.  I have used it several times and have gotten only rave reviews.  Thanks kakeladi for the recipe!

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 22 Aug 2015 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 15

Wasc has become my favorite. Its also not too strongon almond flavor, I think its just right. 

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 1:48am
post #7 of 15

I use a scratch recipe of WASC although I make WVSC since I use all vanilla.  I do not find the cake overly sweet and makes such a nice moist cake.  I make a variation of WVSC adding  Bourbon Vanilla Beans in the cake and it is my number one wedding cake seller (looks like vanilla bean ice cream in cake form and tastes so good).  I think you will find it a terrific wedding cake if a bride wants it.  My brides often pair it will my Vanilla bean whipped American buttercream frosting. blush.png

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 3:29am
post #8 of 15

@Singerssoul  is your scratch recipe of WASC here on CC? I'd like to look that up and try it as well as your Vanilla Bean whipped American Buttercream frosting if that is listed as well. Thanks!

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 3:39am
post #9 of 15

sparkledee3 here is an excellent version that you could then play with and work out to what you like: http://www.mycakeschool.com/recipes/almond-scratch-recipe/Melissa Diamond's recipe is a good jumping board.  HTH!

cola1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cola1016 Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 15

New here, I was just wondering if anyone knew with kakeladi's WASC recipe, if I can still use the 15 oz cake sizes they now sell as opposed to the oil 18 oz boxes? I want to try it but want to know before I mess it all up. I have yet to find a post that indicates new measurements to reflect the new size cake mixes, I've been reading for over an hour now! lol

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 15

cola, i have read that it works out OK using the smaller cake mix with the same proportions as in the old recipe -- but whenever it came up for me i measured out the 18 ounce amount -- which is one extra mix for every five that you use -- or if you use one mix you need to add one fifth of another one --

and fwiw -- i use self rising flour in my wasc

best baking to you

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 25 Sep 2015 , 9:16pm
CakeBlessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBlessed Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 15

I pretty much follow this recipe for my wedding cakes and anything that I need to be sturdy for stacking. But, I've always added a stick of melted butter to it and I cut my sugar back to 3/4 cup. And occasionally, if I am out of sour cream *GASP* I substitute half of my water with buttermilk. Never been disappointed with this recipe.  Its a really good basic recipe to have and then you can play with it and learn what you can switch out to meet your needs.

kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 15

YES use the smaller size without changing anything about the *original* recipe. 

Adding butter and/or buttermilk changes the whole idea of the *original* recipe.  If you google cakecentral with *original* WASC recipe you will find many threads - most of them have some helpfull hints within it - just as this ? has been answered several times within those threads:) 

kandyslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyslife Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 15

@kakeladi i really want to try out your original WASC, but it says for flavoring, needs butter flavoring and almond flavoring ( i only have access to almond essence, which i am not sure is flavoring?), they don't sell this where i live, i have very limited cake products, flavors, items where i'm from, most of the time i have to order online. is there anything else i can substitute for flavor??

kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 15

Flavoring is personal choice.  You can use whatever you want really.  The almond essence you mention is fine = it will work. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%