Preferred Fondant

Decorating By Webake2gether Updated 30 Aug 2015 , 10:38pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 17

I usually make my own fondant but started having trouble with it and haven't really been able to try other recipes yet so we've tried a few brands when we needed fondant. I wanted to order some in bulk before we open for business to have on hand just in case we need it in a pinch. I've used Wilton and found it's easy to work with but couldn't find it in bulk any cheaper than Walmart, used Satin ice and it didn't work well for us (cracks and has that elephant skin look fresh out of the package). So I was curious as to what others prefer to use. I seen fat dadios and was curious about that. Thanks in advance :) 

~Amanda 

*I did a search and a post from 2012 came up and I wanted a more current answer with more specifics on brands. 

16 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 17

If you have found that Wilton works for you,

you may find the Wilton worked in makes up for what is going wrong with your homemade.  And the homemade gets you to the price point you want to be at.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 17

"used Satin ice and it didn't work well for us (cracks and has that elephant skin look fresh out of the package). "

just a question since you worded this like this -- you did knead it at least 50 times before using yes? it was all warmed up and ready to go -- you have to prep it right -- i'm sure you did -- just checking --

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 17

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2015/06/via-roma-my-new-favorite-fondant.html

This may not be what you are looking for, but it might help. Look at her previous one that is linked, as well.

FWIW, I used to mix Wilton with Chocopan, but that was before Wilton changed formula. Satin ice or the new Wilton smells like play dough to me. Can't remember which one. But filled the room with play dough smell....... 

I really think if you find something you like the taste and price on, you'll figure out what's needed to get it to look good.  Just takes time.

Webake2gether Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 12:26am
post #5 of 17

@-K8memphis  I should have been more clear yes we kneaded it we colored it so it was definitely worked with. I just meant to say that it wasn't used then stored then used again.

@Rfisher  My biggest issue with Wilton is the cost and as far as flavor goes I don't eat fondant at all period just don't like it but my husband doesn't mind the taste although my kids won't eat any fondant either. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 2:29am
post #6 of 17

I cover my cakes with modeling chocolate which tastes SO much better.  Occasionally, if it's being super difficult I'll add some fondant to it to improve the elasticity.  I also add fondant if I'm going to be making figures or flowers or anything that needs to hold its shape.  The fondant doesn't affect the taste but helps it stay where it's put.  Since the taste isn't a consideration and I can get it anywhere in town, I use Wilton's but the cost isn't a big problem since I don't use very much of it.

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 2:42am
post #7 of 17

Massa Ticino  

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 3:47am
post #8 of 17

I got a sample of fat daddios fondant.....it was really tasty   (IMHO)

since my sample was only a few ounces, I have been using it for modeling in a pinch    To me it tastes like marshmallows    No icky chemical smell  

I too am struggling with my homemade fondant    I SWEAR it's because it is summer....can't prove it for sure but every recipe I have attempted has been screwed up this summer.   I want to believe it is that and not me being too stupid to follow directions   :/

I am going to try one more homemade recipe before resorting to commercial stuff.     Ain't nobody got time for screwy fondant!

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 5:59am
post #9 of 17

I have tried MANY recipes for homemade fondant, and struggled until I discovered the Jessica Harris marshmallow fomdant recipe on Craftsy.  In a pinch when getting a last minute order, I have used Wilton, Satin Ice, and Fat Daddio's.  Of the store bought, I prefer Fat Daddio's all-around, bit the Jessica Harris recipe is my all-time favorite! 

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 9:51am
post #10 of 17

I'm really not a fan of making my own fondant so I've always bought it. I used Wilton fondant in the beginning but its the most terrible brand for fondant in my opinion. Since then I've been using Virgin Fondant and it's perfect! I don't think they sell it in the US though.

Webake2gether Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 12:35pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the replies. And no kidding who has time to mess with finicky fondant.....not me for sure  it was so frustrating

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 17

I just got some samples from Fondarific. I have only opened the "Vanilla Antique White" and I have to say it is pretty tasty. I got 6 samples (2 oz. each) and only had to pay for shipping which was $6. I ordered on Sunday and received on Tuesday. I think that was pretty fast since they are in GA and I am in California. It says it is more pliable, no elephant skin, drapes over corners without tearing, unlimited work time and so on. Oh and it says no powdered sugar, cornstarch or shortening needed to roll out. Search youtube and you can see some of it in action. I don't know if they sell it in stores, so shipping might be a factor. I am going to do some research to find the best place to buy with shipping. I am going to order some to cover a cake so I can test it out.

shop.fondarific.com

Webake2gether Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 17

@Cakemom21  thanks!!! I will definitely check that out too. I'm ok with needing to order online I'll just make sure to not run out for emergencies

Webake2gether Posted 20 Aug 2015 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 17

For some reason only half of my replies are posting  hmmm 

Webake2gether Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 12:40pm
post #15 of 17

@oftheeicing  with the Jessica Harris fondant recipe do you always use the lemon extract? I'm making some fondant today. We are practicing some cakes this weekend :)

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 17

I have made it with and without the lemon, but prefer the taste without.

Webake2gether Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 10:38pm
post #17 of 17

@oftheeicing  I never got an alert that you replied :(  Thanks I didn't end up making it the plumber came and my whole days plan changed lol. Anyway this week for sure I'll be making some!! I'll try it without first :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%