Slimy Swiss Buttercream-Is This Normal?

Decorating By newbiebaker1 Updated 12 Jul 2016 , 4:26pm by -K8memphis

newbiebaker1 Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:27am
post #1 of 8

I have tried to make Swiss buttercream a couple of times (Gretchen's Bakery Recipe) and have followed directions/videos very closely but even after I get it all incorporated and it looks smooth and fluffy, it seems to have a slimy texture. It tastes good, but the texture is strange and it definitely handles differently than the crusting buttercream that I usually make.  It almost slides right off the spatula.  Is this normal?  I have never knowingly eaten SBC so I don't know what the mouth feel is supposed to be like.  Thanks!

7 replies
ModernLovers Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:44am
post #2 of 8

It sounds as if your SMBC is not sufficiently whipped. If the buttercream slipping off the spatula I think you have to whisk it more.

julia1812 Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 6:00am
post #3 of 8

It shouldn't slide off your spacula. I also think you have to whip it waaay longer. The mistake is to be afraid to overwhip smbc, though I believe it's almost impossible, lol. Pass the curdly stage and keep mixing...

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 8

i'm not familiar with that recipe but i can tell you that if use un heated egg whites (duff goldman makes his this way and i used it for dummy cakes) it stayed a little glassy and nearly slimy -- would slide right out of the bowl -- but when i cooked them before making the meringue it was more matte, not slidey/slimy --

how warm is your butter though? if it's too warm the water comes out and that could do that too

Jinkies Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

That's the recipe that I use and it's never been slimy.  

After you heat the egg whites and sugar (make sure the sugar is completely melted) then you have to whip it with your whisk attachment for quite a bit.  You really can't whip it too long-I'll whip it for 10-15min on high while I'm doing other things.  

Make sure that you have REALLY STURDY STIFF peaks and that it's cooled off ( If your peaks are stiff but it's still warm-keep whipping). before you add the powdered sugar and butter.  also make sure your butter is soft but not melted-just room temp. 

Once you're done, you need to whip it with the paddle attachment to make it smooth.  Sooooo yummy!

deuceofcakes Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

If it is slimy and giving off any liquid at all, it definitely needs to be beaten more. You almost can't whip your meringue too much, and you can't beat the frosting with the butter too much.  But here's another thought. Since SMBC is made with all butter, it is very sensitive to temperature. If your room is too warm, the frosting will be very soft and will slide; this is the result of butter partially melting and probably results in a greasier mouthfeel. You can measure the temperature of the frosting. Butter starts to melt around 80 degrees F.  If this is the case, you'll need to pop the bowl in the fridge for a little bit to bring the temperature down.  That said, it does feel different than crusting buttercream, but I think the taste is vastly superior. 

newbiebaker1 Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 8

It's been awhile since this post, but I thought I'd follow up to let you know that I think my mistake was using margarine.  I used butter and it turned out beautifully!  Thanks for all the help!

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 8

some old fashioned margarine might work might not -- the various vegetable spreads they have now are often water logged oils so they don't work for baking things usually -- 

good observation -- glad you figured it out -- high five

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%