What Do You Use Under The Bottom Tier Of A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By awestervelt Updated 19 Aug 2015 , 2:27am by leta

awestervelt Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 4

I have done lots of large tiered birthday cakes and I have always used the foil lined drums but that just doesn't seem appropriate for a wedding cake.  I swore I would never do a wedding cake but here I am.  I'm not worried about the cake part it's all the other stuff that has me a little nervous.  Transportation, setting up etc...   So what do you guys use?  The bride as a cake stand which I'm still unsure about.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:24am
post #2 of 4

Same drum but cover it with fondant if you want to, and cover the edge of the drum with a ribbon.

Amps.prkns Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:25am
post #3 of 4

Make sure the cake stand is sturdy, and large enough to hold your cake. I normally use a 2-3" thick plexiglass "plate" a couple sizes bigger then my last tier. Or use a piece of wood covered in foil or fondant or butter cream. Make sure it is thick enough to hold your cake weight. 

leta Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 2:27am
post #4 of 4

I use a fondant covered cake drum with a ribbon around the edge as well.  Truly, to up your game, you could cover all your cake boards with fondant.  It will look much better in photos too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%