Reverse Ganache Technique - Cake Boards

Decorating By cakeaholic23 Updated 18 Aug 2015 , 5:29am by Norcalhiker

cakeaholic23 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

Hi..

I want to use reverse ganache/upside down technique for ganaching my cakes. how much bigger than my cake should my cake boards be?

TIA

Anna.

4 replies
Norcalhiker Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 3:46am
post #2 of 5

At least 2".  

I tried it a few times....but it's not for me.  I prefer cutting layers from a sheet cake, then assembling in a cake ring and acetate cake collar.   

Apti Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 4:23am
post #3 of 5

Norcalhiker, I think the OP is asking about the technique shown when you google this phrase:

upside down ganache with acrylic

My cake club recently had a demo using this method with acrylic vs. cardboard and she recommended that the board be 1/2" larger than the cake which results in 1/4" of ganache around the sides.   I've used this method with square cakes covered with ganache only (no other frosting or fondant) and having the boards be 1/2" larger all around (or close to 1/2"), provided just enough space.

Since my cakes typically end up being about 1/2" smaller than the cake boards, this works out well with no extra cutting or trimming.

cakeaholic23 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 4:32am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Apti, thats exactly what i was looking for. i was confused if it should be 1/2 or 1/4". I think i will do 1/2". thank you!

@Norcalhiker, i have never done that method till now. Do you have link to any tutorial?  can we do this for square cakes? 

Norcalhiker Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 5:29am
post #5 of 5

Apti: Wow that's a lot of work! It's a take on Jeff arnett's technique .

Cakeaholic23: I'm sure there's videos on cutting and assembly of layers from sheet cake.  I'm fortunate enough to live Down the road from CIA, and just over an hour from SF where there's exceptional culinary schools.  I learned it in a culinary school.  Most professional pastry chefs use it  because no one has the time to bake 3, 4 or 5 different size cakes.  The class I took at CIA had the cakes baked in traditional cake pans, but the wedding cake instructor said the sheet cake method is standard in commercial kitchens.

What I like most about it is you get beautiful uniform layers. No more torting! Each layer is a nice uniform 1 inch.  No more trying to split that 2" round cake evenly.  No more leveling.  No more 30-35 min bake times.  

Mise in place night before

mix in 10 min or less (I use 2 step method)

1/2 sheet in oven @ 375

Cake out of oven 19 mins 

you can use full sheet, but I bake as a very expensive hobby, so I only use 1/2 sheets.

you can cut any shape cake: circle, rectangle, square.  Professional kitchens stock acetate in rolls of 500 ft, so you just cut to length.  Acetate is available in strips as well.  I buy individual strips for 45 cents each at my local kitchenware store.  Commercial kitchens discard them after 1 use, but you can wash and reuse if you like.

If you are doing a naked cake, you still need the traditional cake tins.

if you need to build a tier more than 4" high, separate the tiers into 2 with a cake board between them.  But a tier over 4" is going to be very unstable no matter what.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%