3 Tier Cake Question

Decorating By pintsizecakes Updated 23 Aug 2015 , 7:06pm by -K8memphis

pintsizecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pintsizecakes Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,

I am attempting my first three-tiered cake.  The sizes will be 8, 6 and 4 inch for the top tier.  My question is do I need to use a cake separator underneath the 4 inch tier? The 4 inch cake separators seem to be very difficult to find which leads me to believe maybe it's not necessary since it's such a small tier.

Is it common practice to trim the  6 inch tier in order to fit underneath the four inch tier? What do you all suggest? Thanks for your advice!

-Nicole

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 9

yes use plates and dowel for every 4-5" of height aka every tier and get on the wilton site or you tube and find the how to do a tier cake tutorial --

and yes most every layer in every tier has to be trimmed unless it was baked perfectly and isn't going to be torted and filled

best to you -- hope it works out great for you would love to see a picture even by pm -- no pressure

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 17 Aug 2015 , 6:57pm
pintsizecakes Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 9

Ok, great thanks! :) Will try to upload a pic when it's done! :) It'll be a few days though. Just planning out the strategy now.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 9

no pressure -- take your time -- here to help if you need any 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 9

If I am delivering the cake, I wouldn't use a separator plate on the 4" tier.  You'll have supports (dowels or straws) in the 8" and 6" tiers, plus the plate under the 6" tier to support the 4" tier.  I'd stack the 8 and 6 and wait to stack the 4 at the location.  If someone is picking it up (or set up on-site is not an option), I would use one then, so the tiers don't move in transit as the "feet" of the plate should help keep the tier in place.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 9

I don't use plates under tiers, but every tier, even the 4", needs to be on a cake board of the same size and have supports under it [dowels or wide bore straws].

pintsizecakes Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 12:57am
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone! I love the helpful spirit of this forum! :) 

pintsizecakes Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 9

Well here's a pic from my first attempt a tiered cake. I had some difficulty smoothing the buttercream, wondering if I should have used a crusted buttercream recipe instead? The ruffled effect was a little more difficult than I thought but overall I was happy with it. Thank god for UTube! Lol  Any advice is welcomed! :)

55da164c8abb8.jpeg 

55da164d1fdde.jpeg

-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 9

you worked hard -- did a great job -- congratulations

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%