Indian Design Cake

Decorating By sameera Updated 17 Aug 2015 , 4:50am by sameera

sameera Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 3

Hello bakers,

I have to make this big huge wedding cake.. And the customer wants to have this fondant  scarf / veil (all decorated) on this 7 tier cake...

please tell me if it is doable or not? if it is  then any tutorial would be a big help....she showed me few pictures online.and wants me to incorporate them together....

I need all the suggestions..

Thank you in advance...

-Sameera

55d0f1a311bdb.jpeg55d0f1a381fae.jpeg55d0f1a3ca570.jpeg

2 replies
Shockolata Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 3

Hello Sameera

I think it is doable but you may need someone to lend you a hand. I have not done anything like this myself but I imagine you would need to make a sheet of fondant mixed with tylo powder or gum paste to be able to roll it out thinly and avoid rips. Then with the help of the other person you will drape it over the cake and use kitchen paper between the folds of the 'fabric' to keep them from falling whilst it is drying. Then you can proceed to decorate the 'fabric' with dragees (the edible pearls) and the flowers which you can make using a plunger-cutter. I think she has painted the gold decorations by hand because if they had been stencilled, they would have been even and they are not. How confident are you of your painting skills and steady hand? If not too confident, then I recommend you paint the border before attaching the 'fabric'. Also be careful because the weight of the fondant could cause problems if the covering of the cakes is not hard enough, plus the strong red colour can easily mark the white fondant underneath if the cake is exposed to humidity. Now if you wanted, you could use a silk fabric (washed by hand obviously with baby wash liquid to avoid harsh chemicals and air dried, no softeners, no ironing sprays...) and remove it prior to cutting the cake. Hope I have given you some inspiration. Good luck with the creation!

sameera Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 4:50am
post #3 of 3

what about modeling chocolate?? i think it is lighter than fondant and shinier...the thing with this veil is that I will have to decorate it on the spot...in the reception hall..because the cake is big ....and I will have to take the cake in a mini van in two parts.....worried.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%