Sizes Please.....

Decorating By sameera Updated 19 Aug 2015 , 7:55pm by sameera

sameera Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 7

55d0edc567da7.jpegHI, everyone...

I am in the middle of selecting a  wedding cake design. It has to be 7 tiers...with a wow factor..

I  found this cake on google.... But not sure what are the sizes...

how do I attach a picture????

6 replies
Shockolata Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

The size will depend on how many people will be at the wedding reception and how big pieces it is traditional to serve in their culture. What size pans have you got? Are you going to buy special pans to make this cake? Or are you going to bake in yours and just assemble it till it comes to size? How will you secure integrity for the tiers if it is a patchwork job, though? I don't think it matters what we estimate the size of the cake in the photo to be. Be careful you don't bite more than you can chew. It is someone's wedding you are talking about, so you should have a fair idea of how to make multi-tiered cakes and be competent at costings so you are not out of pocket at the end of the day.

sameera Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 4:35am
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the reply,

So far I only have round cake pans...sizes 14', 12", 10", 8" 6"....Any other sizes or shape I can rent at a local cake supply store...

for the money part... It's for family...may be I wrote customer in the original post. But it is for my brother in Law"s reception

I am not new to this wedding cake business...but this one is one ....1000 people will be at the reception..cake will be served in small slices... needs to be enough for 500 people since there are 4, 5 other deserts...

my mother in law wants a grand  cake..

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 7

i feel there's two ways to determine the size of cake you want -- one is by the number of servings you want and the other is by silhouette -- this cake is being ordered by silhouette --

i have to pop out for a few minutes here this morning be back in a few hours -- if this hasn't been resolved by then i will put on my thinking cap and come up with something -- i dearly love cake construction questions --

no i couldn't wait -- i think either 6r x 8r x 10r x 12r x 15h x 18h x 24h --but could be a 5" on top --

and your 500 servings will be no problem but i don't know exactly -- we've got great math peeps on here to figure that out -- but I can work on it when I get back...

this is a stunning cake can I come over and be your assistant :) 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 7

wait i meant a 22" hexagon not a 24 for the bottom tier and 

r = round, h = hexagon 

6r x 8r x 10r x 12r x 15h x 18h x 22h  

you have approximately 325 before you do the bottom tier and the bottom one might be around 150 ish so it might be just under 500 but i am NOT exact -- i am 

if you google cakulator you can get a site where you can plug in cake sizes and it will do the math for you it also shows you the math if you choose servings by volume -- 

you could up the round cakes an inch to get about 20 more servings

7r x 9r x 11r x 13r x 15h x 18h x 22h  

and i think a larger top cake does better on a mega cake otherwise it can look pinheaded if you're not careful

any how -- my best guesses for you

deuceofcakes Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 7

If you want very large layers for the bottom, you will probably be better off baking sheet cakes then cutting to size. Just make a template from cardboard.  It will save you from buying extra pans you won't use again.

sameera Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

thank you for all the awesome replies and suggestions...now I am thinking of changing the design all together..

only round tiers is what I have in my mind right now.. And bottom one or two tiers could be dummies...since it will be huge and not easy to handle...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%