50/50 Fondant Gumpaste Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 16 Aug 2015 , 11:31pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 8:53am
post #1 of 7

I need to make decorations ahead of time for a castle cake. Will half fondant half gum paste hold up well if refrigerated for a couple of days? I am making a birthday cake for a friend  and she changed the party date and I will be going out of town for a couple of days. I was planning on dropping the cake off  two days before the party but I wasn't sure if the decorations will hold up if the cake is refrigerated.  Or should I just use gum paste for all of the decorations?  Sorry everyone hope this question makes since it's 2am and I wanted to get my question in before I forget again. Thank you.

6 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 7

Is there a reason the gumpaste decorations can't just sit countertop until the time of the party and placed on? I feel this might be safer. The condensation that will form on the decorations once removed is what concerns me. 

However i I have refrigerated  gumpaste monkey before and he held up fine. It does take some time for that shiny look the condensation creates to wear off 

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 7

I Think gumpaste might be safer.

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 7

She doesn't want to have to assemble the castle cake and I won't be in town if anything happens to fix it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

I say it's all dependent upon how humid her refrigerator is.  And I would use gum paste that has been dried very well.  You might tell her to put a bowl or plate full of cornstarch in her fridge.  I do that sometimes and it seems to help wick the moisture out.  I've never tried it but lots of people swear by having the cake refrigerated in a cardboard box wrapped with saran wrap.  Letting it come to room temp while in the box is supposed to help take any condensation moisture away from the cake and into the box.  But, as I've said, I have not done this.

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%