Best Dairy Free Icing For Covering

Baking By ceebear3 Updated 18 Aug 2015 , 5:30am by Claire138

ceebear3 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 2:06am
post #1 of 6

I have been commissioned to make a dairy-free kosher cake.  The flavor of this cake is vanilla with raspberry buttercream.  I have a number of concerns, chief among them being finding an icing that will firm up enough to allow me to cover the cake in fondant.  I am very familiar with covering SMBC, and I have also covered dark chocolate ganache.  

I tried to make SMBC with 1/2 Fleishmann's unsalted, 1/2 butter flavored crisco.  It doesn't taste horrible, but it's not setting up.  Next, I'll be trying SMBC with all Fleischmann's unsalted.  I'm skeptical, because upon closer observation Fleishmann's is significantly less firm that butter is at fridge temp.  I have read of people using palm oil, high-ratio shortening or corn starch.  Would any of these help my problem?  Crisco does not seem to get hard in the fridge, so I can't  imagine high-ratio shortening does either.

I will also attempt white chocolate ganache with coconut milk, though I don't have time to order and test the dairy-free white chocolate.  As of now, I think this will be my best bet.

Does anybody have either a dairy free SMBC recipe that will harden completely in the fridge, or any advice on dairy-free white chocolate ganache?

5 replies
AAtKT Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 11:27am
post #2 of 6

I am not sure of your religious status, but you do realize that kosher will require you to use equipment set aside for that purpose as well as an inspection of your kitchen by a Rabbi?

If I remember correctly, Fleishman's is a margarine... You could try one of the soy butters out there, they may work better...

ceebear3 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, I'm well aware of the constraints on equipment, etc.  I'm simply recipe testing at home.

I was told by a vegan baker friend of mine that Earth Balance would do worse than margerine, plus it's salted.  She recently tested aquafava BC with each and the soy tasted significantly worse than margarine.    Do you have experience with soy butter buttercream?

Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 6

Hi ceebear, I'm Jewish and keep kosher so make only kosher cakes (even for my non Jewish clientele). You can buy soy milk which I would advise instead of the coconut milk as I've found that gives a different taste which may throw the blend off balance. I use margarine for any butter requirments and have definitely found a difference between different makes. I don't know where you are but I import from Belguim (it comes from Israel) a margarine called Blue Band for any creams be it ambc or smbc while for cakes that call for butter I use the make Adiet.

For ganache I make dark chocolate ganache using a parve (non milky) whipping cream. I've never made a white chocolate ganache but can't imagine it is different. You need parve chocolate too with a high cocoa content. I do alot of cakes with flavored BC in the middle and then covered in dark chocolate ganache.

ceebear3 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 12:24am
post #5 of 6

@Claire138  Thank you!! 

Do you cover even vanilla cakes in chocolate? I'm not having great luck with white chocolate ganache. 

Claire138 Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 5:30am
post #6 of 6

Hi Ceebear, Yes, I use dark chocolate ganache for almost all my cakes unless someone specifically asks for something else like BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%