Help! Last Minute Wedding Cake Timing Delimma

Baking By sishoes Updated 14 Aug 2015 , 10:58pm by leah_s

sishoes Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 9

It's a long story, but a friend begged me to make her wedding cake after her previous plans fell through. It is an incredibly simple design and an easy vanilla white cake so I said yes, but now I'm freaking out. Her wedding is on Saturday evening, but I will have to have the cake complete by early Friday morning because I wont have any time Friday night or Saturday to do any decorating. All the cakes I have done in the past are baked ahead of time, crumb coated the day before and decorated the day of. Here's my plan... will this work?

Bake cakes Sunday, level trim and freeze.

Wednesday after work- make fondant, take cakes out of freezer, crumb coat the 3 tiers

Thursday evening- cover in fondant, attach rose petals (she provided me with some high quality fakes), insert supports, put each tier in cardboard box, wrap boxes in saran wrap and put in fridge

Saturday afternoon- remove from fridge, let fondant air dry, stack before the wedding

I'm worried that the cake will dry out... thoughts? Thanks in advance!

8 replies
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 9

I always freeze on Mondays and take out on Wednesdays and Thursdays for decorating.  They are never dried out by Saturday or even Sunday.  My vanilla cakes are nice and moist to start.  Especially if covering with fondant, they should be fine.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 9

sounds great -- i fill and assemble each tier before freezing then take it out to ice  etc. because i know my fillings freeze & thaw ok but everyone does it their own way -- your plan sounds great like jennybakesalot says

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 9

and i use a simple syrup on all my layers too

sishoes Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much! Do you think I should just keep it out of the fridge all together?

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 9

it's such an individual preference -- i hold mine in the refrigerator buttercream and fondant but everybody does it different -- but actually i just did a little cake for a young man and i kept it at room temp because it was scratch and all butter -- i usually use doctored cake mix but this was a gift -- sorry i'm rambling --

do it the best way for you and your recipes

sishoes Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 9

I'm thinking I'll leave it out.. I've never refrigerated them before but it should still be fresh. Thanks!

Jenny BakesAlot Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 9

I refrigerate everything until they pick up or I deliver.  Safer for transport, imo.  But yes, everyone does do things differently.

leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 9

I have never refrigerated any of the 1000 wedding cakes I've done.  It will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%