Helo - When To Stack My Sisters Wedding Cake (Sun)

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 14 Aug 2015 , 5:17pm by -K8memphis

hailinguk Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 4

Hi There,

I'm making my sisters wedding cake for Sunday.

I've just got all 4 tiers covered. I'm just wondering when it's best to stack them as need to add ruffles etc. 

I'm heading to the wedding venue in the afternoon as staying overnight before the wedding. That's why I've had to make the cake today. (Cakes were made earlier then defrosted, filled and covered today).

Can I stack straight them and decorate now? Or is it best to leave them to harden overnight, then dowel then stack?

This may sound like a stupid question but I have purchased plastic dowels. How is best to cut them to size. Just nipped the end with plyers and it doesn't cut it straight! 

I have 2 x 8" cakes, 1 x 6" and 1 x 4" (I had to do 2 x 8" ones because my 10" pan is dented. The tiers are quite tall - around 6" each. 

Thanks xx

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 4

That's a smaller cake, so it can be stacked and transported in one piece. I'd go ahead and stack them now, then wait and let them sit for a while,. If anything weird is going to happen to them settling and creating air bubbles or problems with the fondant it will show up before you try to decorate them.

If the bottom two tiers are both 8" round, stack those as usual then drive a dowel through both and cut it level with the top. That way the two tiers won't shift and create a ridge where they're sitting on each other.

You can cut the plastic dowels with a pair of cable cutters or a little saw if you have those. If not, just try to get them as flat as you can and as long as you put them in even;y around the tier it will be okay if they're not totally flat.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 4

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 4

wow -- those are my first pictures since the big fix -- easier than easy peasy -- copy & paste -- so all that to say --

when i cut my plastic dowel i push them back & forth on the counter top with a ruler to be sure everybody's on the same page and clip where necessary -- one or more will pop out out line and look too tall -- you can tell how many are gonna be too long this way -- once they all scootch back & forth evenly then they are straight

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%