Best Frosting Recipe For A 25Th Anniversary Cake

Decorating By tootsie03 Updated 16 Aug 2015 , 1:42am by tootsie03

tootsie03 Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 3

I still have a hard time frosting a cake.  Luckily I have been able to cover most of them up with flowers.  I don't bake a lot of cakes and watched many many you tube videos.  I need a good non refrigated frosting recipe.

Thank you blush.png

2 replies
Apti Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 7:13am
post #2 of 3

If you are in the USA, a basic, starter recipe for frosting that can withstand heat and humidity and remain exposed to room temperatures for days and days is a classic made and used for years by a CakeCentral forum member, Indydebi.

Excellent, high-heat, high-humidity recipe CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM

[Important: Even though the recipe says "Crisco", recipe was used for years BEFORE Crisco changed their recipe to NON-TRANS-FAT. The current Crisco does NOT perform the same way it used to perform.]

Where the recipe calls for Crisco, substitute (if possible) the following:

BEST BY A MILE: High Ratio Shortening (this is only available from specialty cake stores or online. You cannot find this at a grocery store.)

2nd BEST: Grocery store brand white vegetable shortening that still lists 2-3 grams of trans-fat on the ingredients label

Use only as a last resort: White Crisco (not butter flavored). It will still work, and nobody else but you will know that it is a little grainy and not as smooth as it would be with one of the products in 1st or 2nd place above.)

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):

(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer:
Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar

IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

tootsie03 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 1:42am
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the advice.  I will give this buttercream a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%