Help Making Pattern For Art Deco Cake

Decorating By bunny.kins Updated 16 Aug 2015 , 3:28am by Norcalhiker

bunny.kins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunny.kins Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum.  Thanks for helping me out

I am doing a wedding cake for an art deco themed wedding this sept.  I am interested in reproducing this middle tier with the cascading circles, but I can't figure out how they did it.  I was thinking that they cut out 3 sizes of circles, and then cut out the parts where the next circle overlaps but this seems tedious.  How do you think they did it?  And any suggestions on how to approach this design would be helpful as well.

Thank you in advance!

https://lovellabridal.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2-chic_white_texturized_winter_wedding_cakes.jpg55cde65da5e37.jpeg

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

That's how they did it, most likely. and yes, it's tedious. That's a display cake so they probably had a couple of weeks to work on it here and there.

You can make those ahead of time out of fondant, put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them until you need them. They'll be sticky when you first take them out of the freezer but they'll warm up and still be soft enough to put on the cake so that you don't have to do it all last-minute.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 5

or another idea is to use formers to dry the pieces on -- for example use foam dummies the same size as your tier/s -- you could either cut them in half so they'll stand up like half moons with the cut side down on the counter -- and lay the pieces on there so they dry the right shape or set the dummy in a drawer and close it so it holds it upright and place them on there -- then when they get dry enough you can remove them and add the next batch -- you could use cake pans that way too -- -- unless you're doing square cakes ;) 

i'd also make a template -- i'd get that angle wrong -- i can cut circles ok but i'd need help with that angle -- it's as tedious as cut out cookies -- shouldn't be too bad because they are pretty big -- could be worse -- that's like 150 circles give or take -- easier than a dozen roses

bunny.kins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunny.kins Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for the great ideas!!  Now I don't feel as intimidated by the task.  

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 3:28am
post #5 of 5

Check out  sugarartstudio.com.  Giovanna Smith offers a beautiful selection of Art Deco cutters. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%