Adding Rum To Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Baking By BakersGuy Updated 2 Sep 2015 , 4:37pm by BakersGuy

BakersGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakersGuy Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Family!

Can this be done or is it better to use Rum Flavoring?  Wondering what affect (if any) the extra liquid might have on it.

Thanks a million!

3 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:40am
post #2 of 4

I do it all the time!   I love adding liqueurs and alcohols to SMBC .  It adds a depth of flavor without tasting alcoholic at all.  I use coconut rum, pineapple rum and banana rum,  spiced rum and even the plain old rum now and then too!  The emulsified buttercream will incorporate a fair amount of liquid.  For about 1 qt SMBC I add my usual flavorings, then at least 2 tablespoons of the alcohol.  Just taste it and see.  BTW  Godiva dark chocolate liqueur in cohocolate SMBC is to die for!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:52am
post #3 of 4

Yes, you can add 3-5 oz of liquids to a typical batch of meringue buttercreams. @yortma  is right, it's delicious...but with the rum watch out because too much of it can be really strong. Start out on the light side. Try a butter rum cake with a butter rum soaking syrup and rum buttercream, yum yum!

BakersGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakersGuy Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

Hey Fam

Sorry for the late reply!  Thanks soooo much to you both!  Worked out great.  I am now a SMBC fan. 

Got a little heavy handed on the rum in the cake though (thats my next question at a later date..lol) But icing was amazing!

Thanks again!!!!!

Bakersguy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%