Adding Rum To Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Baking By BakersGuy Updated 2 Sep 2015 , 4:37pm by BakersGuy

BakersGuy Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Family!

Can this be done or is it better to use Rum Flavoring?  Wondering what affect (if any) the extra liquid might have on it.

Thanks a million!

3 replies
yortma Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:40am
post #2 of 4

I do it all the time!   I love adding liqueurs and alcohols to SMBC .  It adds a depth of flavor without tasting alcoholic at all.  I use coconut rum, pineapple rum and banana rum,  spiced rum and even the plain old rum now and then too!  The emulsified buttercream will incorporate a fair amount of liquid.  For about 1 qt SMBC I add my usual flavorings, then at least 2 tablespoons of the alcohol.  Just taste it and see.  BTW  Godiva dark chocolate liqueur in cohocolate SMBC is to die for!!

costumeczar Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 12:52am
post #3 of 4

Yes, you can add 3-5 oz of liquids to a typical batch of meringue buttercreams. @yortma  is right, it's delicious...but with the rum watch out because too much of it can be really strong. Start out on the light side. Try a butter rum cake with a butter rum soaking syrup and rum buttercream, yum yum!

BakersGuy Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

Hey Fam

Sorry for the late reply!  Thanks soooo much to you both!  Worked out great.  I am now a SMBC fan. 

Got a little heavy handed on the rum in the cake though (thats my next question at a later But icing was amazing!

Thanks again!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%