Cake Ends And Tops?

Baking By LelekBolek Updated 15 Aug 2015 , 3:57pm by kakeladi

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 10

I hate to throw away food.  Just raised that way. So i'm looking for ideas on what to do with all the cut out/off pieces left. Any recipes for cake ends and tops? Thanks all.

9 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 10

Cake pops, cake crumbs to use as sand for a beach cake or to decorate the sides of another cake.  My family just straight up eat them from my board - no waste!

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 10

There's a local weekend event for which I always make a large (usually carved) cake for Saturday night.  I use the scraps, plus pudding, fruit, and cool whip, to make a trifle, for Friday night, which always gets rave reviews (and disappears).
Link to photo:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150694672628233&l=913fb9a0ac

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 13 Aug 2015 , 10:45pm
Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 4:22am
post #4 of 10

Bread pudding

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 10

I call it tupperware cake :-) I layer whatever I've got left in a tupperware container and throw it in the fridge. Between the teenagers and my husband, it usually disappears fairly quickly! 
I also throw it in a ziplock bag and freeze for later. You can pulse it in a food processor and use it for cake pops as @Pastrybaglady  suggested. Since I've only tried making them once, it's good to have for practice. There's a learning curve to making those suckers!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:11am
post #6 of 10

I call it tupperware cake :-)

LOL. I my house it is..."you're darn lucky to be getting ANY cake  cake scraps". Seriously, layering scraps in clear cups (drink cups with lids) with icing or fillings make cute, individual servings. Label them with flavors and serve them to ANYONE. Freeze well, portion control, and looks cute.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 6:35am
post #7 of 10

Some people take the off cuts and layer them with icing, sprinkles, fruit etc in mason jars and sell those....it's one of those cutesy Pintrest things that is trendy   

Around my house, they are the pickings that we get to snack on....even my dog gets his cake fix when the flavors are suitable for his consumption.   He is actually one of my biggest cake fans;)  

I like to put all my flavors together so I can know what the final product will taste like.....I like to call it quality control 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 10

especially for a wedding -- i make two four inch cakes out of the scraps of the cake to deliver with the bride's & grooms cake all boxed up in individual 6" boxes -- one to go in the freezer for the first anniversary and one for the honeymoon because often the bride & groom don't remember or don't get any cake beyond the bite for the picture -- it's also a selling tool --

i tell them these cakes are my gift to them so they can use all the servings in the brides cake from top to bottom to serve to their guests -- this ties up several details for them is very often the deal clincher and from there it's no problem for them to reach for their payment -- the b&g need a nice sweet bite to eat once they get away from the festivities --

if there's a groom's cake and i feel like it i and i have enough scraps i make one half of each --

i call them k8t cakes (katie cakes) 

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you for the suggestions!!! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 10

Learn to eliminate those humps so you have far less scraps.  

Bake your cakes at 300 degrees for 20 minutes (per one cake mix/batch) then turn the oven up to 325 for about the same amount of time.  Learn to tell when a cake is done by using your nose :)  When you can smell that wonderful aroma all over the house (in the next room) most likely it is done.  If the cake has pulled away from the sides it is over baked.   Adjust time for larger cakes ie: 12 to 16: rounds take about 30-35 minutes each setting.  This will result in a very level, moist cake that will not have that center hump thus not need any leveling thus no cake scraps.

BTW:  I was raised the same way :)   When I go out to eat it is very hard to leave *any* food behind but I have a friend who is  just the opposite - leaves most of her food on the plate as she is a VERY! picky eater and most restaurants don't live up to her standards :(.  Yet she does not cook :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%