Where Can I Find Long Enough Dowels

Business By epiquerianmb Updated 14 Aug 2015 , 2:12am by epiquerianmb

epiquerianmb Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 7

I need some of the experts help ASAP.

I have a four tier wedding cake to make for Saturday.

Can someone let me know if I need to put a long dowel down the middle or not? The ones that I find in the cake decorating stores are the normal sized ones. If I should be doing something different to secure the cake, will you please let me know.

Thanks in advance!! 

6 replies
radtech Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 7

Yes you need to dowel your cake.  I will go without a dowel on a 2 tier but never a 4. 
At the craft store they should have long dowels in the wood section that will be more than enough- they are sold seperately.  They usually have several different diameters too.

littlemo12 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

I get my dowels at Lowes --- in the wood/trim area. I usually go with the 1/2 inch. 

costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 7

I never use a center dowel regardless of how tall the cake is, unless there's some kind of extenuating circumstances. You should dowel each tier but you don't necessarily need one that goes all the way through the cake. Having said that, I also deliver everything cold from the fridge and that way they don't shift and move around, and if it's really tall I do the setup on site instead of transporting it in one piece.

But if you do want to use a center dowel you really need to make sure it goes all the way through the cakes and into the base board or it's just false security. 

Be careful about using dowels from the hardware store because they might have some kind of weird chemicals on them. Wash them really well to get the hardware store dirt off, too!

*Last edited by costumeczar on 13 Aug 2015 , 7:58pm
sweettooth101 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 7

The other day while roasting marshmallow I noticed the smores sticks available at walmart would make great dowels.

Magda_MI Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 7

I've bought long dowels at my local hardware store.  I get ones that are pencil width, and use a pencil sharpener on the end that needs to poke down through the cake boards.

epiquerianmb Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 2:12am
post #7 of 7

Thank you Everybody!

I really appreciate your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%