Edible Silver Leaf

Decorating By sandrasicurella Updated 13 Aug 2015 , 7:41pm by -K8memphis

sandrasicurella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandrasicurella Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm going to make a fondant cake tomorrow using edible silver leaf but it's my first time working it. So my question is... Once the silver leaf is applied to the fondant on the cake, is it safe to freeze or refrigerate the cake afterwards? Or will that cause the silver leaf to dry out, tear or peel off? 

Please give me some advice/insight!
Thanks so much!

Sandra

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't freeze it, but I've put cakes in the fridge overnight with gold leaf on them and nothing happened. This was a home refrigerator, not a commercial fridge, since those have a lot higher humidity. It's probably better not to refrigerate it at all, but if you have to just keep it to the shortest time possible since moisture can affect it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 5

i've put it in my commercial fridge - no worries -- they don't all across the board have higher humidity-- and conversely i had to have a heater retro fitted in my home fridge 'cause it dripped like a faucet in there  --

i don't think i tried freezing it -- i would be nervous about the thawing/consensation thing -- a pastry chef like for a hotel might know when they prepare a million servings in advance --

but i baked it on some pate a choux yesterday in fact and it was fine

sandrasicurella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandrasicurella Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 5

Very good point. I forgot about the condensation! When the cake thaws it would probably make the leaf wet and create a small disaster. I assume that working at room temperature would be best then? The only thing is that I normally freeze my cakes before icing and putting fondant over as I find it easier to cover the cake. So in this case, I'm not quite sure how to work this out without damaging the silver leaf.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 5

well you put the leaf on after fondanting so should be fine -- in fact that's how i do mine freeze then ice -- no worries -- and i applied mine to a cold cake not frozen but cold (onto buttercream)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%