Should I Be Catering To Kids Too At Food Fair?

Business By Natiflor09 Updated 13 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm by costumeczar

Natiflor09 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 3

My first food fair is a 3 day event, supposedly labeled as "gourmet" but I'd say that's about 40% true based on most of the non gourmet vendors who will be there. It's held in an affluent neighborhood and it's portrayed as being a family friendly event. 

I'll be making cupcakes and cake pops among other desserts and I'm somewhat going for a floral garden type theme. I plan on having a few hand painted cake dummies, buttercream flower cupcakes and floral looking cake pops. H however insists that I should have Minion cake pops or cupcakes at my booth to cater to the kids who will be there persuading their parents to buy stuff for them. While that's not a bad idea and I love Minions as much as the next person, I'm a little unsure about tying them in to my display. I then thought about a few cute garden animals instead, though obviously I can see how cartoon characters would still win over a pair of birds and ladybugs.

Which brought me to another question, how much of your booth/ products would you say should be kid friendly? I'd thought certain flavors and kid sized items would be enough but now I wonder if I should be decorating certain items to interest kids as well. There will be a children's area for parents to drop them off for a bit while they browse but of  course lots of families still prefer to browse all together. 

2 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 3

How about bee cake pops and butterfly cupcakes for the little ladies?   Maybe frog cake pops and dirt cupcakes with worms for the less dainty?

costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 3

I wouldn't sell anything trademarked that you don't have a license to sell. Minions are everywhere, but most of them aren't being sold with a license and you can get busted if a copyright attorney with ties to Disney happens to be at this high-end event. And don't think it can't happen, because I was once having a conversation with the father of a girl who was ordering a Winnie the Pooh cake, and I told him I wouldn't do anything trademarked. He said "Good, because I'm a copyright attorney."

Keep it generic like @Pastrybaglady  suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%