Burlap And Twine Ideas

Decorating By SandraDee73 Updated 13 Aug 2015 , 5:48pm by SandraDee73

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

I've been doing some research in regards to using burlap on cake. It seems it's not a good idea, for good reasons!
Was wondering what you might have used to replace it?
I've read a few have used the sugarveil mat (very pricey!) and others have used faux burlap ribbon.
Has anyone tried to print a burlap texture onto wafer paper?

Any ideas on how to do the twine? Maybe the twine won't be such and issue if it's over a faux ribbon?

I'm worried about the shedding issue. I've seen lots of pictures of cakes using burlap, but of course there's no "after the cake is cut" comments...just pretty professional pictures. 

Thoughts?

4 replies
bbrumett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbrumett Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 5

I just colored some fondant the color of the burlap the bride wanted, and find a tea towel that has that burlap texture. I found one at dollar tree! Just roll the fondant over that it looks pretty close to burlap without having to use the real thing. 

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 5

Wilton has a burlap impression roller - I used it recently for my sons wedding cake.

What I wanted was a very subtle texture on fondant and it worked perfectly.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 5

The impression mats work well, and you can kind of shred the edges to give it a ratty burlap look   http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/04/when-trends-collide-burlap-and-giant.html

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 5

Great ideas. Thank you for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%